History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Shustoke, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5166 / 52°30'59"N

Longitude: -1.6446 / 1°38'40"W

OS Eastings: 424216

OS Northings: 291023

OS Grid: SP242910

Mapcode National: GBR 5JB.C02

Mapcode Global: VHBWH.F0YM

Entry Name: Church Cottages

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Last Amended: 23 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309076

Location: Shustoke, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Shustoke

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Whitacres, Lea Marston and Shustoke

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Nether Whitacre

Listing Text

SHUSTOKE CHURCH END
SP2491
15/171 Church Cottages
11/11/72 (Formerly listed as
Almshouses)
GV II
School and 6 almshouses, now 4 almshouses. 1699. School rebuilt in 1832 and
altered 1927. Built by Thomas Huntbach the younger (d.1712) of Shustoke Hall.
Sandstone rubble and steeply pitched plain-tiled roof with moulded eaves cornice
and parapet gable ends. The parapet to the south end has been rebuilt as has the
wall at that end. Two ridge stacks of red brick above the ridge. Single
north-south range. There were three almshouses on each side with one room at
ground floor and another in the attic. One storey and attic. Three C19 gable
dormers. Each almshouse has a casement in an original splayed surround of
sandstone with chamfered mullion. Adjacent doorways have oak lintels. Similar
elevation to the west except that the doorways are now blocked. At south gable
end reset in new brickwork of the wall of the school is a tablet with
inscription and the date.
(VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV; Midland Counties Tribune (March 22, 1935))


Listing NGR: SP2421691023

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.