History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Wall of Former Infirmary, Approximately 150 Metres South of Priory Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Maxstoke, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4784 / 52°28'42"N

Longitude: -1.6557 / 1°39'20"W

OS Eastings: 423480

OS Northings: 286776

OS Grid: SP234867

Mapcode National: GBR 5JQ.N6P

Mapcode Global: VHBWH.8Y1X

Entry Name: West Wall of Former Infirmary, Approximately 150 Metres South of Priory Farmhouse

Listing Date: 8 September 1961

Last Amended: 23 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034822

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309015

Location: Maxstoke, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Maxstoke

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Maxstoke

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Shustoke

Listing Text

MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD
SP2386 (South side)
17/110 West wall of former infirmary,
08/09/61 approx. 150m S of Priory
Farmhouse
(Formerly listed as Remains of
Tower and walls of monastic
church)
GV II*
West wall of former infirmary. Early C14. Coursed and squared sandstone. Gable
roof was continued over aisles. 2 storeys. First floor with window of 2 lights
in 2-centred arch with fragments of reticulated tracery. At ground floor a
doorway in 2-centred chamfered arch and a smaller doorway in an arch of 3
straight sides. Originally part of the infirmary, north-east of the priory
church, to the priory of Augustinian Canons founded in 1336 by William de
Clinton, Earl of Huntingdon and consecrated in 1342. Scheduled ancient monument.
(VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p349)


Listing NGR: SP2348086776

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.