History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shilton, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4557 / 52°27'20"N

Longitude: -1.4072 / 1°24'25"W

OS Eastings: 440378

OS Northings: 284360

OS Grid: SP403843

Mapcode National: GBR 6LR.516

Mapcode Global: VHBWT.KJFT

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 6 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308889

Location: Shilton, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV7

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

Civil Parish: Shilton

Civil Parish/community: Shilton and Barnacle

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Shilton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Bulkington

Listing Text

SHILTON CHURCH ROAD
SP48SW (West side)
7/23 Church of St. Andrew
06/10/60
- II*

Church. Rebuilt C14 and C15; C15 tower and porch. Chancel restored and outer
north aisle added by George Gilbert Scott 1865. Regular coursed sandstone; tower
of ashlar. Chancel and porch have old plain-tile roofs; chancel has C19 coped
gable parapet with moulded kneelers. Nave and aisles have lead roofs; nave has
C19 moulded embattled parapet; aisles have moulded parapets. Chancel, nave,
north inner and outer aisles, west tower, south porch. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay
nave. Splayed plinths throughout. Chancel has diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets.
3-light east window has cusped intersecting tracery. Host windows have hood
moulds. Blocked chamfered north doorway. North and south sides have
straight-headed eastern windows of 2 trefoiled lights with moulded spandrels,
and western lancets. Nave has plinth to part of south wall only. 4 buttresses of
2 offsets. Central open timber porch has moulded timbers and C19 tracery. Stone
benches. Queen strut roof. Moulded doorway inside has hood mould and C19 door
with decorative ironwork. Straight-headed Perpendicular 2-light windows to left
and right above porch. Eastern and western windows have cusped Y-tracery. Angles
have restored pinnacles. North aisle has gableted diagonal east buttress, now
partly embedded in outer aisle. Lean-to roof. 3-light east window has
reticulated tracery. Renewed north-west window has cusped Y-tracery. Outer aisle
is largely similar. Buttress has carved heads. Shallow-pitched roof has
pinnacles at angles. Moulded north-west doorway. 2-light straight-headed
north-eastern window. 2-light west window has reticulated tracery. Perpendicular
tower of 2 stages. Splay and high moulded plinths. Diagonal buttresses of 4
offsets rise into crocketed pinnacles. Moulded embattled parapet. High first
stage has simple moulded Tudor-arch west doorway in chamfered straight-headed
surround with sunk spandrels. C19 plank door has decorative ironwork. Renewed
3-light window above has deep splayed jambs. North east angle has shallow stair
projection. Splayed course between stages. Second stage has 2-light openings
with transoms and deep splayed jambs. South side has painted clockface.
Interior: chancel is plastered. South-east piscina. North wall has stone shelf
on half-octagonal colonnette. Some C19 stencil work around east window. Boarded
barrel roof has chamfered arched braces with carved wood angel corbels, and iron
ties. Part of responds and springing only of chancel arch remain. Nave has
piscina in east jamb of south-east window, with trefoiled ogee openings to east
and north. 4-bay Perpendicular north arcade of 2 chamfered orders, octagonal
piers with moulded bases and capitals, and continuous hood mould. First bay has
only a corbel to east. Third and fourth bays are separated by a broader pier
with 2 half-octagons and a chamfered south respond. Carved head between second
and third bays. Tower arch of 2 segmental-pointed orders. C19 Perpendicular
roof. North aisle has arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders dividing off west
bay. East window has hood mould. 3-bay C19 aisle arcade is similar to nave
arcade, but with one round pier between second and third bays, and carved heads
between each arch. Outer aisle has chamfered, moulded and cusped crown post
roof. Fittings are almost entirely of 1865. Chancel has encaustic tiles and
painted metal roundels on east wall. Arcaded altar rails. Low screen and gates
incorporate some C15 traceried panels. Octagonal moulded and traceried wood
pulpit. Heavily ornamented octagonal stone font. North aisle screen has plate
tracery openings. Fine set of 13 three-branch candle-stands and 2 eight-branch
candelabra of painted metal and brass, possibly by Skidmore of Coventry. Stained
glass: east window 1865 by Clayton and Bell; north aisle east window mid C19 by
Powell. Other C19 glass in nave and chancel.
(V.C.H.: Marwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.213-4; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.395).


Listing NGR: SP4037884360

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.