History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3675 / 52°22'2"N

Longitude: -1.4338 / 1°26'1"W

OS Eastings: 438650

OS Northings: 274533

OS Grid: SP386745

Mapcode National: GBR 6MP.JBS

Mapcode Global: VHBX6.3RCF

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 6 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308828

Location: Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV8

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

Civil Parish: Ryton-on-Dunsmore

Built-Up Area: Ryton-on-Dunsmore

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Ryton-on-Dunsmore St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Brandon

Listing Text

RYTON ON DUNSMORE CHURCH ROAD
SP37SE East side)
4/43 Church of St. Leonard
06/10/60

- II*

Church. C11 nave and chancel. C15 tower. Altered and vestry with gallery above
added 1812. Porch rebuilt Cl9. Nave and chancel of squared coursed sandstone;
east wall rebuilt in ashlar; mid/late C20 ashlar patching throughout. Tower of
limestone ashlar. Nave east gable and south porch of brick. Late C20 tile roofs
have coped gable parapets; nave has simple moulded kneelers. Vestry and gallery
of English bond brick. Slate lean-to roof. Nave, chancel, north vestry and
gallery, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has splayed
plinth to east. Diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets. 3-light east window has C19
Perpendicular tracery. Leaded lights throughout. Late C11 Romanesque north-east
window has shafts with cushion capitals and large roll moulding. Narrow C12
north-west lancet. C19 straight-headed traceried 3-light south-east window.
Blocked arch of C11 window. C16 two-light chamfered mullioned south-west window.
Porch has round-arched doorway with keystone and late C20 part-glazed doors.
Gable has stone coping. C11 Romanesque doorway inside has shafts with cushion
capitals and large roll moulding. C16 four-panelled door has applied ribs.
Diocletian window of c.1812 above porch has brick arch. Large C15
straight-headed Perpendicular nave south-east window. Blocked C11 window.
2-light south-west casement. Massive north buttress. Blocked C11 doorway has
shaft and capital with tendrils. Straight-headed window inserted. Diocletian
window above. Gallery has simple Gothick 4-centre arched casements with
Y-tracery to east and west. Similar larger casement to ground floor on north
side. Segmental-arched plank door to west. Perpendicular tower of 2 stages.
Splayed and moulded splayed plinth. Full-height diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets
to all sides. Low deeply-recessed west doorway of 3 moulded orders has old plank
door and remains of hood mould. 3-light window above has renewed tracery. Clock
face above. String course. Second stage has louvred 2-light bell openings with
transom: the lower part is blind. All openings have hood moulds and head stops.
Moulded embattled parapet with gargoyles and panelled pinnacles. Interior is
plastered, except for east wall. Chancel has wagon roof, and run-out moulded tie
beam. Chancel arch of 1929 of 2 chamfered orders. Nave has plastered barrel roof
and two C16 tie beams with wallposts; eastern beam has carved boss. Tower arch
of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous. Gallery has plain opening to nave.
Panelled breakfront balustrade. C20 organ case. Fielded 6-panelled door below.
Fittings: C12 octagonal font cut back to square base. C17 oak pulpit. 2 benches
have re-used late C15 panels. C17/early C18 barley-sugar twist altar rails. C19
panelled pews. Monuments: chancel east wall: Edward 30nhan 1679. White marble.
Broken segmental pediment with cartouche and Composite columns. Chancel south
wall: small brass of 1712 with inscription to Moses Macham, Minister.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, pp.211-212; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.391).


Listing NGR: SP3865074533

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II War Memorial
    Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV8
  • II Ryton House
    Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV8

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.