This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4498 / 52°26'59"N
Longitude: -1.4132 / 1°24'47"W
OS Eastings: 439975
OS Northings: 283697
OS Grid: SP399836
Mapcode National: GBR 6LR.HHC
Mapcode Global: VHBWT.GP7C
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 18 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034889
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308869
Location: Ansty, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV7
Civil Parish: Ansty
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Ansty St James
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
In the entry for:-
Church of St James
The grade shall be amended to II*
Church of St. James
Church. C13 chancel; C14 north arcade. Nave, aisle and tower and restoration
1856 by George Gilbert Scott. Chancel of coursed squared red sandstone with some
ashlar patching. Nave of regular coursed grey sandstone; aisle and tower of
ashlar. Old plain-tile roofs have pierced terracotta ridge cresting. Chancel has
C19 coped gable parapet with gablet kneelers and cross finial. Nave has moulded
cornice and parapet, and west gable parapet. Chancel, nave, north aisle, west
porch tower. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets
throughout. Chancel has splay plinth. C19 east window of 3 stepped trefoiled
lancets in chamfered arch with hood mould and foliage stops. Chamfered south
doorway has hood mould and C19 plank door with decorative ironwork. Paired C19
trefoiled lancets to east, and western lancet. North side has 2-light chamfered
mullioned eastern window and trefoiled western lancet. Nave, aisle and tower
have splayed and moulded plinths. Nave has south buttress between eastern 2
bays. 2-light windows have geometrical tracery. Aisle has north buttress.
3-light east window has panel tracery. North-east corner has octagonal stone
stack. North side has two straight-headed windows of 3 trefoiled lights. Similar
2-light west window. Porch tower of 2 stages. Upper part of first stage is
octagonal. West diagonal buttresses rise into pedestals with seated statues.
Doorway of 2 moulded orders has keeled nook-shafts to outer order and
double-leaf doors with decorative ironwork. Hood mould with head stops.
Elaborate Decorated-style image niche above has crocketed canopy and statue.
North side has shallow stair projection. South side has trefoiled lancet. Upper
window of 4 mouchettes to north and south. Weathering between stages. Second
stage has elaborately moulded openings with reticulated tracery, hood moulds and
head stops to alternate sides. Moulded cornice has gargoyles and foliage bosses.
Moulded embattled parapet with blind quatrefoils. Spire has lucarnes and finial.
Interior is plastered. Chancel has elaborate stencil work of 1856. South-east
window has trefoiled rere arch. Chancel and nave have queen strut roofs with
windbraces; chancel has old moulded tie beam dated 1615. No chancel arch. 3-bay
north arcade of 2 chamfered orders has octagonal piers with moulded bases and
capitals. West doorway of 3 orders, the outer 2 segmental-pointed, has
double-leaf doors. North aisle has queen strut roof, partly of old timbers, with
simple bosses to tie beams. Fittings appear to be all of 1856. Chancel has
encaustic tiles. Traceried altar rails. Elaborate Decorated-style traceried wood
chancel screen has some Gothic openwork panels above. Stalls, pews and octagonal
pulpit have blind tracery. Octagonal stone font has blind tracery. Large C19
triptych painting above shows the Baptism of Prince Peada. Stained glass: east
window 1851; south-east 1851; nave north-west 1846; aisle east 1865; other C19
and early C20 windows. Wall monuments in nave: south-east: Simon Adams 1801.
Neoclassical, with weeping woman and urn. South wall: John Adaas 1856. Large
Gothic marble monument. The inscription records that he was 'a visiting justice
of the Hanwell Lunatic Asylum. It was his happiness to be one of the first
promoters of the humane system of the treatment of the insane'.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.56; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.67;
National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SP3997583697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.