History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Dunchurch, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3371 / 52°20'13"N

Longitude: -1.2891 / 1°17'20"W

OS Eastings: 448535

OS Northings: 271241

OS Grid: SP485712

Mapcode National: GBR 7PL.JWS

Mapcode Global: VHCTX.LJW6

Entry Name: The Almshouses

Listing Date: 4 December 1951

Last Amended: 3 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034942

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308695

Location: Dunchurch, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

Civil Parish: Dunchurch

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Dunchurch St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Rugby

Listing Text

DUNCHURCH THE SQUARE
SP4871 (North side)
11/53 Nos.1 to 6 (consecative) The
04/12/51 Almshouses
(Formerly listed as
Almshouses)
GV II
Almshouses. Founded 1693 under the will of Thomas Newcombe. Rebuilt 1818, partly
at the expense of the Duchess of Buccleuch and Queensberry. Porches added
mid/late C19. Flemish bond buff brick with brick dentil cornice. Slate roof;
brick ridge and end stacks. Each is one-unit plan. 2 storeys; 6-window range.
Angles and projecting gabled centre have pilaster strips. Centre has paired
doors. Large sunk stone panel above has moulded cornice and long inscription
recording the history of the building. Nos.1 and 2 and 5 and 6 have paired open
fronted porches of red brick with some blue brick and tile roofs. Chamfered
Tudor arches. Mid C20 plank doors throughout. Ground floor has 2-light casements
with many glazing bars. All openings have stone flat arches with keystones.
First floor has horizontal sashes. Interiors not inspected. Newcombe was printer
to Charles II, James II and William III. His monument is in the church (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SP4853571241

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.