History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Lodge stable Cottage wren Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Birdingbury, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3152 / 52°18'54"N

Longitude: -1.3668 / 1°22'0"W

OS Eastings: 443264

OS Northings: 268752

OS Grid: SP432687

Mapcode National: GBR 7PP.WST

Mapcode Global: VHCV2.829J

Entry Name: Court Lodge stable Cottage wren Court

Listing Date: 6 October 1960

Last Amended: 3 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034961

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308646

Location: Birdingbury, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

Civil Parish: Birdingbury

Built-Up Area: Birdingbury

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Birdingbury St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Long Itchington

Listing Text

BIRDINGBURY FRANKTON ROAD
SP46NW (East side)
5/5 Wren Court, Court Lodge and
06/10/60 Stable Cottage
(Formerly listed as Stable
Block, Birdingbury Hall)
II
Stable block, now 3 houses. 1742. Converted late C20. Possibly designed by
Richard Trubshaw. Built for Sir Theophilus Bidduiph. Flemish bond red brick with
sandstone ashlar plinth and dressings. Old tile hipped roofs; C19 and C20 brick
ridge, internal and lateral stacks to rear and wing. L-plan, with wing on right
to rear. Mid Georgian style. 2 storeys; 7 bays. Symmetrical front has projecting
pedimented centre. Large moulded and rusticated archway has triple keystone
carved with coat of arms and acanthus leaf. Recessed late C20 two-window range
within archway. Pediment has mid C18 clock with slate face in moulded stone
surround quartered with acanthus leaves. Left and right ranges each have central
doorway with moulded stone eared and shouldered architrave, triple keystone and
pediment. Court Lodge on left has glazed door; Wren Court has late C20
six-panelled door; both have sidelights and overlight. Sashes have moulded stone
sills and flat arches with triple keystones. Stone coped brick parapets, swept
up at ends. Central painted wood octagonal bell turret has keyed round arches
and ogee lead roof with fox weathervane. Return sides, rear and wing have brick
dentil cornice. Extensive late C20 alterations. The bell is noted as having the
inscription 'Sir Theophilus Biddulph H B MAD ME 1745'. The building was
originally the stables of Birdingbury Hall (q.v.). Richard Trubshaw is known to
have worked at Birdingbury Hall in 1742.
(Howard Colvin: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840,
p.842).


Listing NGR: SP4326468752

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.