This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5135 / 52°30'48"N
Longitude: -1.4659 / 1°27'57"W
OS Eastings: 436342
OS Northings: 290752
OS Grid: SP363907
Mapcode National: GBR 6KX.G6N
Mapcode Global: VHBWL.J3W0
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 6 December 1947
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308573
Location: Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV11
District: Nuneaton and Bedworth
Town: Nuneaton and Bedworth
Electoral Ward/Division: Wem Brook
Built-Up Area: Nuneaton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Chilvers Coton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH
AVENUE ROAD (South side)
Church of All Saints
Church. C15 tower. Chancel C13, but considerably rebuilt and restored 1889-1891. Nave and north aisle rebuilt 1946-1947; south aisle added 1957-1958. Designed by H.N.Jepson. Regular coursed and ashlar sandstone. Plain-tile roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north organ chamber. Three-bay chancel; nave of three large bays.
Chancel of regular coursed stone has splay plinth. Low diagonal buttresses and buttresses flanking east window of two offsets. Three-light east window is partly C13, but with C20 intersecting tracery. Hood mould. C19 gable parapet has kneelers with carved heads. North and south windows have late C19 cusped Y-tracery; hood moulds and head stops, probably medieval to north. Late C19 two-bay organ chamber has diagonal and east buttresses. Three-light Perpendicular-style north east window. Aisles have six lancets.
Perpendicular tower of three stages. First stage has western clasping buttresses and quatrefoil panelling to base. Deep-set doorway inserted below west window cuts into lower part of it. C20 double-leaf doors. Three-light window has deep hollow-chamfered jambs. Hood mould is continued as a string course. Second stage has diagonal buttresses. Slate clock-face with moulded frame dated 1813. Third stage has hollow-chamfered two-light bell-chamber openings with renewed tracery and louvres. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet. Wrought iron and gilded weathervane. South east corner has small stair projection to lower stages. Tudor arch doorway.
Interior is plastered. Chancel has late C19 arched brace roof with stone corbels. North and south arches of two chamfered orders, the outer segmental pointed. Late C19 Early English style chancel arch of two orders, the inner with shafts. Tower arch of two moulded orders, the inner with half-octagon responds.
George Eliot was baptised in the church. Most of the church was destroyed by bombing in 1941, and rebuilt by German prisoners of war.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21 June 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings