This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4964 / 52°29'47"N
Longitude: -1.4737 / 1°28'25"W
OS Eastings: 435828
OS Northings: 288852
OS Grid: SP358888
Mapcode National: GBR 6L3.D84
Mapcode Global: VHBWL.DJS3
Entry Name: The Griff House Hotel
Listing Date: 6 December 1947
Last Amended: 11 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034983
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308590
Location: Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV10
District: Nuneaton and Bedworth
Electoral Ward/Division: Slough
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Chilvers Coton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH
COVENTRY ROAD (West side)
The Griff House Hotel
(Formerly listed as Griff House)
Farmhouse, now hotel. C17 origins, with small wing to rear; late C18/early C19 front range; mid/late C19 additions. C17 wing is timber-framed with rendered infill and sandstone rubble plinth to sill height. Front range and additions of Flemish bond brick with brick dentil cornice. Old plain-tile roofs; brick ridge stacks. L-plan extended to U-plan, with wings to rear. Two storeys and attic; five-window range.
Front is very largely symmetrical. Flush six-panelled double-leaf door and overlight with glazing bars recessed within moulded wood architrave and doorcase of fluted pilaster strips, large shaped brackets and pitched hood. Painted stone panel above has inscription: 'George Eliot lived here 1820-1841'. Central three bays are closely-spaced. Wood cross windows with many glazing bars have brick cambered arches, on ground floor first bay on left and small C19 single-storey addition to left have C19 cross windows with horizontal glazing bar. Small lower two-storey mid C19 addition to right. Left return side has C17 wing. Two storeys; two-window range. Framing of right half is much renewed. C20 open-fronted porch of stone and sham framing. C19 ribbed door inside. C19 and C20 casements. Right return side has string course and brick corbelling to gable, and two-light attic casement. Large C19 canted bay on left has French window with overlight and moulded wood architrave. Sashes to canted sides and four-pane sash above. C19 two-window range beyond has late C20 addition across ground floor. 16-pane sashes above. Painted rendered lintels throughout.
Interior altered. Extensive later C20 additions to rear are not of special architectural interest.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20 June 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings