History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Guy's Cliffe House

A Grade II Listed Building in Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2988 / 52°17'55"N

Longitude: -1.572 / 1°34'19"W

OS Eastings: 429286

OS Northings: 266829

OS Grid: SP292668

Mapcode National: GBR 5LY.Z85

Mapcode Global: VHBXH.PHT2

Entry Name: Guy's Cliffe House

Listing Date: 20 August 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1035206

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308034

Location: Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Leek Wootton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Warwick

Listing Text

GUY'S CLIFFE
10/372 Guy's Cliffe House

20.8.51

GV II

Circa 1751-57 house with substantial additions of 1813-24 and small addition
of 1898. The later alterations and additions have obscured the exterior of
the mid C18 house except south front which faces courtyard. This is of ashlar,
of two storeys with semi-basement below, and of seven bays. Windows are in
moulded architraves. Central porch has in front a large platform which leaves
the rusticated basement clear. Between 1813-24 the north and west sides of
the earlier house were much altered. North (river) front raised in height
and two projecting bay windows became tower like features with ogee headed
gables between them. West front given central turret flanked by ogee headed
gables. After 1819 an arcaded verandah added to west front and west wing
extended at both ends. Additions on east side included a kitchen wing in Gothic
style which forms connecting link between house and chapel. In 1898 a four
storeyed polygonal tower added on courtyard side of west wing. In 1952 the
interior of the house was stripped and by 1966 the roof had fallen in. Now
in an advanced state of decay apart from the Gothic kitchen wing which is used
by the Masons as a dining room. The house has associations with Sarah Siddons,
Ruskin and others. To the south of the house, a range of stables built into
the rock face with arcaded ashlar front.

Listing NGR: SP2928666829

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.