This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2818 / 52°16'54"N
Longitude: -1.5907 / 1°35'26"W
OS Eastings: 428022
OS Northings: 264924
OS Grid: SP280649
Mapcode National: GBR 5M4.STB
Mapcode Global: VHBXH.CXY5
Entry Name: Museum
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307546
Location: Warwick, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34
Civil Parish: Warwick
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Warwick St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1781 MARKET PLACE
SP 2864 NW 1/308 10.1.53.
Late C17 2 storey Market Hall of local sandstone ashlar work 3 bays wide
and 5 bays long. Lower storey was originally an open market place with
continuous semi-circular-headed arcade, but circa 1880 this was filled
in with incongruous windows and plain boarded door. String band at first
floor. Moulded architraves to window openings on upper floor, which now
have satisfactory sashes in cased frames of (?) early C19 date. Heavy,
moulded stone cornice at eaves with modillions. Hipped tile roof has been
much restored. Existing (probably C19) lantern in Roman cement, replaces
an earlier cupola. Pedimented dormers, wooden balustrade to central flat
roof round cupola. AM.
Listing NGR: SP2802264924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings