History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warwick, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2849 / 52°17'5"N

Longitude: -1.5871 / 1°35'13"W

OS Eastings: 428263

OS Northings: 265280

OS Grid: SP282652

Mapcode National: GBR 5M4.MLB

Mapcode Global: VHBXH.FTTR

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1035503

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307357

Location: Warwick, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Warwick

Built-Up Area: Warwick

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Warwick St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Warwick

Listing Text

WARWICK

1.
1781 The Priory

SP 2865 SW 3/296 10.1.53.

II* GV

2.
Remaining portions of the Old Priory. The greater part of this building
was taken down in 1926 and removed to America for re-erection. Small single-storey
building of C16 stonework. Entrance doorway has "Tudor" shaped arch, to
LH side of which is large 6-light transomed and mullioned stone splayed
bay window. Other windows are similar in design, the two to right hand
side being modern replacements. To west of this is 2 storey block of C17
brickwork with dark headers, stone plinth, stone quoins, gables to east,
south and west with stone copings and finials, Modern, or restored, brick
chimney stacks. Modern casements. The two buildings have modern leaded
lights and attractive roofs of old tiles. Portions of foundation walls
to the main building (now removed) lie to the east. The Tudor mansion
stood on the site of the medieval Priory of St Sepulchre, founded early
C12.
VCR, viii, pp.422, 438-40.
The Priory, the Stable Wall and Ruined Wall to north east form a group


Listing NGR: SP2826365280

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.