History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stoneythorpe Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Southam, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2512 / 52°15'4"N

Longitude: -1.3928 / 1°23'34"W

OS Eastings: 441548

OS Northings: 261618

OS Grid: SP415616

Mapcode National: GBR 7QF.W46

Mapcode Global: VHBXS.TP13

Entry Name: The Stoneythorpe Hotel

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Last Amended: 27 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1035595

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307212

Location: Southam, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Southam

Built-Up Area: Southam

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Southam St James

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Long Itchington

Listing Text

SOUTHAM WARWICK ROAD
SP4161 (North side)
13/82 The Stoneythorpe Hotel
07/01/52 (Formerly listed as Premises
adjoining Eastleigh and
occupied by Parish Hall
Committee)

GV II

Formerly hospital, now hotel. Early C19. Rendered brick with pilasters to front,
slate roof and rendered brick ridge and end stacks. Central-staircase plan. 2-
and 3-storey, 8-window range of pointed-arch casements with Gothick glazing bars
to first and second storeys. C19 sashes to ground floor, with canted bays with
Gothick sashes to ground and first floor centre. To each floor either side of
bays a pointed-arch niche. Paned double doors to centre-right with paned
surround, and further paned double doors to centre-left. Interior: chamfered
spine beams with small stops to central ground floor roan, with some Gothick
niches in walls. Stick-baluster staircase. First floor rooms said to have been
modernised. History: The Stoneythorpe Hotel was built as the Eye and Ear
Infirmary by Dr. Henry Lilley Smith, and opened in 1818.


Listing NGR: SP4154861618

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.