History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Stert, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3337 / 51°20'1"N

Longitude: -1.9588 / 1°57'31"W

OS Eastings: 402966

OS Northings: 159406

OS Grid: SU029594

Mapcode National: GBR 3WL.9L8

Mapcode Global: VHB4H.0Q9X

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 19 March 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1035669

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311625

Location: Stert, Wiltshire, SN10

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Stert

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Devizes

Listing Text

STERT VILLAGE CENTRE
SU 05 NW
(north side)
9/205 Church of St James
19.3.62

GV II

Anglican parish church. 1846 by J.H. Hakewill, incorporating C16
work of aisle of previous church. Coursed limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings and stone slate roof. Nave with north aisle and
lean-to vestry, south porch, and chancel. C19 bell turret on west
gable. East window of 3 lights and square headed windows in south
wall of nave. Tudor arched windows to aisle. South porch with
bold mouldings and angle buttresses, and a cross finial. Inner
door chamfered.
Interior: Nave arcade of 2 depressed arches with fleuron
ornamented capitals, probably C16. Roof of 3½ bays with slender
trusses propped from corbels and open rafters. Chancel arch on
corbels with carved pendents. Short chancel with open roof and
squint from north aisle. Fittings: Font, C19 in C12 style of
intersecting arcades and inhabited scroll over. Inscription on
rim. Pulpit, reading desk and choir stalls all of boldly detailed
stained timber. Sanctuary rail similar on turned columns. Pews
later C19 with doors. Organ at west end. Brass candelabra
brackets in chancel. Monuments: In chancel, wall tablet, early
C19, white marble on grey, by Tyley of Bristol, a round tablet with
attic and shelf cornice. Draped urn over against shaped field.
Apron below, to John Gale, died 1824. In nave: Wall tablet, early
C19, white and grey marbles. Flanking fluted columns, urn over
(damaged) against grey field. To John Giddings, died 1822, and
later family. Brass of 1917 in aisle. C19 glass in east window,
gift of Miss Halliday of Erchfont.


Listing NGR: SU0296659406

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.