This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3576 / 51°21'27"N
Longitude: -1.8485 / 1°50'54"W
OS Eastings: 410646
OS Northings: 162064
OS Grid: SU106620
Mapcode National: GBR 3WC.TQ7
Mapcode Global: VHB4J.X44M
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Last Amended: 30 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311636
Location: Alton, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Alton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
ALTON ALTON BARNES
SU 16 SW
5/3 The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as The Rectory)
Rectory, now house. Between 1728 and 1737, 1729? datestone on
stack, rear block of 1785 and further alterations c1830-40.
Vitrified brick with red brick dressings and raised brick quoins
and plat band. Tiled roof. Two storeys, attics, and cellar. Five
bays. Central hallway with flanking study and reception room;
hall extended through later rear block to early C19 stair. Margin
glazed door over 5 steps, stone surrounds and flat canopy on carved
consoles. Windows with moulded architraves and fasciae also in
stone and with segmental heads and keystones. Later 12-pane
sashes. External stacks at ends. Three hipped dormers. Two
heraldic quatrefoils set in north stack.
Interior: Rector's study has full simple panelling and cornice.
Wood C18 fire surround to reception room, formerly on first floor.
Stair and fireplaces generally early Cl9, iron inserts in attic,
inlaid marble in study, which also has bust of Augustus William
Hare, public orator and author of 'The Alton Sermons', who
resided in this house.
Listing NGR: SU1064662064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings