History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Huish, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3725 / 51°22'20"N

Longitude: -1.7936 / 1°47'37"W

OS Eastings: 414461

OS Northings: 163735

OS Grid: SU144637

Mapcode National: GBR 4XK.WWR

Mapcode Global: VHB4C.VRNQ

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 27 May 1964

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1035682

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311654

Location: Huish, Wiltshire, SN8

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Huish

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
East Kennett

Listing Text

HUISH -
SU 16 SW
5/21 Church of St. Nicholas
27.5.64
II

Anglican parish church. 1878-9. Banded brick, sarsen, limestone,
flint and malmstone. Vitrified brick to west gable. Tiled roof of
1961. Nave with south porch, and chancel with north side vestry.
Entrance porch has pitched roof and wave moulded door. Two-light
nave windows with quatrefoil heads and drip mould. Three lancets
with trefoiled heads form west window. Limestone bellcote
corbelled above west end. Chancel also has 2-light quatrefoiled
windows. Coped verges. Date stone at west end reads RE TC 1790,
and graffiti on buttress dated 1631.
Interior: Nave of 3 bays, open hammerbeam trusses. Wide chancel
arch with continuous mouldings. Panelled barrel vault of 3 bays.
Vestry open to chancel. Fittings: Font octagonal, Cl9. Pulpit
oak, also C19, pierced and panelled. Oak sanctuary rail.
Monuments: In chancel, tablet, 1830 to Charlotte Bleeck. In nave,
churchwardens tablet of 1739 and oval tablet to Evelyn Burge, died
1954. In case, 4 fine large encaustic tiles and 2 margin tiles,
C15, recovered in excavations in 1966 on north side of building.
(N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire; W.A.M 62, 63 and 64,
1967-9)


Listing NGR: SU1446163735

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.