This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3379 / 51°20'16"N
Longitude: -1.7664 / 1°45'59"W
OS Eastings: 416367
OS Northings: 159898
OS Grid: SU163598
Mapcode National: GBR 4Y5.46X
Mapcode Global: VHB4L.BMJP
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035703
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311705
Location: Pewsey, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Pewsey
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
PEWSEY CHURCH STREET
SU 15 NE (south side)
13/74 Church of St. John the Baptist
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15 and 1861 by G.E. Street,
restoration of 1889-90 by C.E. Ponting. Flint and sarsen with
limestone dressings. Nave and south aisle founded on large
undressed sarsens. Tower ashlar. Roofs of lead, south aisle and
porch of copper and chancel chapels of patterned coloured slate.
Nave with north and south aisles. North porch, west tower.
Chancel with south chapel and north organ chamber with vestry.
North porch of 1889, moulded door with quatrefoil spandrels within
flanking stone frame. Crenellated gable, pinnacles and gargoyles,
and niche with figure of St John. Windows late C13 lancets to
chancel and reticulated east window. Two and 3-light square headed
windows to aisles and clerestorey, much restored. South chapel
reused late 013-early C14 windows from chancel. Moulded doors to
chapels. Tower of 3 stages, angle buttresses and 2-light bell
openings, crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. Large 5-
light west window and moulded door under.
Interior: Early C13 arcade of 4 uneven chamfered pointed arches
and flat soffits pierced through earlier walls leaving square
piers. Roof of 5 bays, C19 open rafters with tie beams and
brackets to purlins. Door to rood screen. Interesting C19 murals
of angels on interlaced background by Canon Bouverie, now covered
over. Chancel arch tripartite, with round capitals and double
chamfered arch. Through squint from south aisle. Chancel of 4
bays, with C19 open roof. Windows have depressed 2-centred rere-
arches and nook shafts. Bold trefoiled C13 piscina and double
arched sedilia. Opening to north organ chamber and door to vestry
with heating chamber below. Roof of timbers from Ivychurch Priory
refectory. South chapel added 1861 by Street, extending aisle.
Two arches on column to chancel. Tall tower arch and fan vault on
corner shafts supporting ringing chamber. Floor raised by 4 steps.
South aisle has cinquefoiled piscina. Fittings: Font under tower,
C12 limestone bowl on 5 columns, restored, and fine suspended font
cover of open carved oak by Canon Bernard Pleydell Bouverie
commemorating Indian campaigns. Chancel fittings by Street, fully
Tractarian, with carved font on stone base, lectern, choir stalls
with boxes for hymnals and 5 steps to carved altar table, also by
Canon Pleydell Bouverie, and carved reredos with painted panels.
Glazed screen to south chapel. Elaborate carved chancel screen
with rood loft now removed to choir vestry in north aisle. Organ
of 1897 by Griffen and Stroud. Screen to organ chamber also C19,
carved in relief. South chapel has inlaid alabaster reredos with
central roundel of white marble depicting heads in deposition
scene. Monuments: In chancel, small foliated relief canopy in
frame, set in wall. Three wall tablets, two to Pleydell Bouverie
family and one of 1816, white marble on grey fields, books of
learning and chalice on bracketed mantel, to Rev Joseph Townsend,
Geologist and Rector, by Westmacott. Also two C19 brasses. In
south chapel, wall monument, C17, oval slate panel in deeply carved
and painted strapwork surround, to Katherine Harding, wife of Groom
of Bedchamber to Charles II, died in Holland 1645. In south aisle,
seven wall tablets, including a pair of oval inlaid marble
monubments with crests, to Robert Hopper, died 1782, and William
Hopper, died 1791, and relations. Also limestone aedicule with
broken pediment, to Richard Hopper, died 1766, and marble panel
with crested pediment to Henry Deacon of Oare House (q.v.) wine
merchant, died 1757, and sister. Three early C19 tablets to
Charlotte Clapton, 1828, by Harrison of Buckingham, and William
Winter, by Wood of Bristol, 1824. In north aisle, 13 wall
monuments of late c18-mid C19, and 1 monument in organ chamber, urn
on coloured field, to Briant Chandler, died-1823. The Rev F.
Pleydell Bouverie, rector 1816-1857 was from Oriel College and was
connected with the Oxford Movement.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England - Wiltshire).
Listing NGR: SU1636959895
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings