This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3398 / 51°20'23"N
Longitude: -1.8382 / 1°50'17"W
OS Eastings: 411366
OS Northings: 160096
OS Grid: SU113600
Mapcode National: GBR 3WK.XS4
Mapcode Global: VHB4K.3L27
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalen
Listing Date: 30 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311839
Location: Woodborough, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Woodborough
Built-Up Area: Woodborough (Wiltshire)
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
WOODBOROUGH CHURCH LANE
SU 16 SW
5/202 Church of St. Mary Magdalen
Anglican parish church. 1850, by William Butterfield, and nave
1861-2 by T.H. Wyatt. Snecked squared limestone, with tiled roof
to nave and stone slates to chancel. Slate roof to aisle.
Nave with south porch, north aisle, chancel with lean-to vestry and
organ recess. Bellcote over west gable. Porch gabled with
quatrefoiled lights to side. Two, 3 and 4 square headed windows
to nave. Two light west window with roundel above. Three light
east window with slender tracery. Bellcote carried on a series of
offsets on west wall.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays with arcade on circular columns and
capitals. Arch braced collar beam trusses, the braces rising from
corbels. Low octagonal responds to chamfered pointed chancel
arch. Chancel of 2 bays with trussed rafter roof and arch to
organ chamber. Ogee-headed door to vestry. Fittings: Font, by
south door, limestone, octagonal, with quatrefoil panels. Pulpit
also limestone, panelled, with steps from chancel and oak handrail.
Arcaded altar rail. Wall tiled in sanctuary. Organ in north
aisle by Bryceson, Bros and Ellis.
Monuments: Nave, 2 brasses of C20. Aisle 7 wall tablets: 1675,
to Sarah Francklyn, 1782, to Jerom Dyke, 1804 to Sophia Dyke, an
oval panel; 1813, to John Robbins by Lloyd of Bedwyn; 1829 to
Sophia and Mary Dyke; 1831 by Harrison, to William Dyke and 1840
to William Robbins and family. In chancel: 1813, by King of
Bath, to George Gibbs, with Latin inscription. Royal arms of
Charles II over chancel arch.
Listing NGR: SU1136660096
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings