This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2811 / 51°16'52"N
Longitude: -2.015 / 2°0'54"W
OS Eastings: 399049
OS Northings: 153552
OS Grid: ST990535
Mapcode National: GBR 2VS.MD8
Mapcode Global: VHB4V.1237
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311948
Location: Cheverell Parva, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Cheverell Parva
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
CHEVERELL PARVA B3098
ST 95 SE
5/44 Church of St Peter
Anglican parish church, C13-C14 and 1850 by Thomas Cundy. Tower of
limestone ashlar, remainder C19 of greensand rubble with limestone
dressings. Stone slate roofs. Nave with north porch. Chancel
with lean-to north vestry, C13 tower at west end, squat, with angle
buttresses and west door. Three-light C14 window over. Trefoil
headed light above and small simple rectangular openings to bell
chamber with monolithic jambs. Pyramidal roof with windvane and
clock on north face. Nave has 2-light window with foiled heads.
Three-light east window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould on
uncarved terminals. Buttresses on south side. South porch gabled,
with terminal cross and wave moulded outer door probably from
original church. Inner door chamfered.
Interior: Nave has open roof of 4 bays, arch braced collar trusses
on wall corbels. Tall unmoulded tower arch. Chamfered chancel
arch of 2 orders, dying into responds. Chancel flagged. Reset C14
trefoil headed doorway, to vestry, which has small fireplace. South
chancel window lowered as seat. East window by Mayer of Norwich.
Fittings: Font, C15, octagonal, with quatrefoiled panels. Pulpit,
C19 plain part octagon with raised candleholders to reading desk.
Reredos, a small gadrooned oak relief of the Last Supper, C18 or
later. Sanctuary rail on iron supports. Pews, mid C19. Organ, a
small upright organ in gothic case, probably early C19. Monuments:
In chancel, white marble wall tablet to Rev William Richards, died
1823, and wife. Under tower, two C18 wall monuments, (a) waisted
shield with carved surround, to Edward Alexander, died 1740 and
later family. (b) Oval tablet, limestone, with painted and gilded
surround, elongated, carved with laced curtaining. Garlanded urn
over. To Mary Alexander, died 1790 and other members of family.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: ST9904953552
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings