History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Barnabas

A Grade II Listed Building in Easterton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2968 / 51°17'48"N

Longitude: -1.9711 / 1°58'16"W

OS Eastings: 402108

OS Northings: 155295

OS Grid: SU021552

Mapcode National: GBR 3WZ.LGK

Mapcode Global: VHB4N.SN9R

Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas

Listing Date: 25 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1035820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311994

Location: Easterton, Wiltshire, SN10

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Easterton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Easterton St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Market Lavington

Listing Text

EASTERTON HIGH STREET
SU 05 NW
(west side)
2/90 Church of St Barnabas
II
Anglican parish church, 1875. Red brick in Flemish bond, with blue
brick banding and yellow and red bricks to window heads. Tiled
roof. Nave with south-east porch, chancel with vestry, and
bellcote. C20 parish room attached to west end, not of special
interest. Porch gabled with flush buttresses. Windows simple
lancets with stone sills and flush blue brick string. Eaves
cogged. Three similar at west (south) end with a window head in
gable, and triple lancets to chancel. Tall saddleback bellcote
with cross gable and single bell opening. Nave has two small
gabled dormers each side.
Interior: Unplastered. Open timber framed roof of 5 bays on
hammerbeams and wall brackets. Piers at west end to support
bellcote. Floor walkways tiled. Simple chancel arch to long
chancel, which has 6-sided open timber roof. Vestry open to
chancel by wide low arch. Glass with coloured margins, but north
chancel window by Glasby, 1927. Fittings: Font, square,
limestone, on 5 columns. Pulpit: part octagon, carved. Altar
rail of wood on scrolled stanchions. Furniture. Organ, no pews.
No monuments. Two war memorial brasses.


Listing NGR: SU0210855295


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.