This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2845 / 51°17'4"N
Longitude: -1.5723 / 1°34'20"W
OS Eastings: 429922
OS Northings: 154013
OS Grid: SU299540
Mapcode National: GBR 60B.K8W
Mapcode Global: VHC2B.PZM6
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 13 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312298
Location: Chute, Wiltshire, SP11
Civil Parish: Chute
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
CHUTE UPPER CHUTE
SU 25 SE
9/90 Church of St Nicholas
Anglican parish church. 1876-9 by J.L. Pearson. Flint with brick
dressings, slate roofs. Nave and chancel, south organ chamber,
south porch and vestry at right angles to chancel, south west tower
with spire. Early English Geometric style, with bar tracery and
hoodmoulds to windows, 3-light east window, 4-light west window,
and mid wall string. Brick buttresses. Tower of 3 stages. Deep
set 2-light bell openings. Broach spire clad in slate. Clock in
stone frame on west face. Porch has 2-centred arch on impost
shafts and with similar-inner door with nook shafts. Scrolled
hinges to doors.
Interior: Wide nave of 6 narrow bays, plastered, with sill
moulding and wide embrasures to windows. Collar beam trusses with
solid arch braces, and lower straight brace to wall. Chancel arch
with an inner chamfered order on corbels, and low screen walls.
Chancel of 3 bays. Stone banding and wide window embrasures.
Tiled floor. Priest's door on southside and piscina with heavy
ball flower decoration, probably from earlier church on same site.
Trussed rafter roof. Vestry has angle fireplace. Organ chamber
like south transept has trussed rafter roof. Fittings: Font at
west end, C12 conical bowl with crude zig-zag and chevron
decoration. Carved oak pyramidal cover of C19. Glass: South nave
window of 1882. East window and north chancel window by Clayton
and Bell. Monuments: Chancel, north side: Four wall tablets.
a) Mid C19. White marble on black. A shaped panel with scrolled
support and arms. Incurved fluted sides. To William Fowle of
Chute Lodge, died 1840, and wife, died 1842.
b) Smaller panel by Osmund, with pilasters, draped urn over. To
William T. Fowle, son, died 1837, George Fowle and Revd. Henry
c) Plain white marble tablet on grey, to Thomas Fowle died 1877.
d) Oval engraved slate to Sybil Eccles of Dean Farm, died 1977.
South side: Four wall monuments:
a) White marble framed in black. To Elizabeth Earle, died 1780,
b) C18 aedicule in various coloured marbles. Square panel,
pediment over, scrolls at sides and apron. To Lady Scroges of
Chute Lodge, died 1746.
c) Lozenge marble tablet. A hanging opened scroll, arms over, to
Samuel Collins, died 1679.
d) Plain marble on grey. To Emma Everett, died 1888.
In nave, basalt floor slab to Sir Sidney Medows, Knight Marshall of
England, died 1792. Gothic aedicule, white marble on grey, to Lady
Augusta Wellesley of Conholt Park, died 1893.
In organ chamber: Three wall tablets:
a) Plain white marble on grey, to Sydney Scroggs and wife, died
b) Oval cushioned tablet on greysquare. Italic inscription to
Edward Scroggs, died 1784, and wife.
c) White marble within grey slate frame. To Evelyn Medows, died
Brass: Italic brass plate reset in church denoting gift of pump
and tank for use of poor cottagers during very dry summers. Nov.
25th 1868. Furniture: An indo-Persian carpet.
Listing NGR: SU2992254013
Other nearby listed buildings