This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2399 / 51°14'23"N
Longitude: -1.6655 / 1°39'55"W
OS Eastings: 423447
OS Northings: 149017
OS Grid: SU234490
Mapcode National: GBR 60S.CPZ
Mapcode Global: VHC2P.23WC
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 13 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312461
Location: Tidworth, Wiltshire, SP9
Civil Parish: Tidworth
Built-Up Area: Tidworth
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: TidworthHoly Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
NORTH TIDWORTH PLASSEY ROAD
SU 24 NW
11/254 Church of the Holy Trinity
Anglican parish church. Late C14, C15 and restored in C19, but
probably containing earlier fabric in tower. Flint and stone,
stone quoins, all much repaired in brick C18 to C20. Tiled roofs.
Nave with south porch and west tower. Chancel and north organ
chamber. Vestry C19 added to north side of tower. Nave has 3-
light cinquefoiled cusping within square heads. Chancel 2-light
cusped windows but 3-light east window. Tower squat and broad, of
3 stages, with angle buttress on south west corner. C17-C18 brick
quoining to upper stages and south window to bell stage. Brick
parapet. South porch C15, with C19 gable, hollow chamfered outer
door, 2-centred C14 inner door and a trefoiled stoup to right.
North door blocked.
Interior: Nave plastered and whitewashed. Roof of four bays with
heavy crown post trusses, moulded tie-beams and open rafters
Lower door to rood stair has hollow chamfer and a good niche with
cinquefoiled head and naive pilaster buttresses. Piscina on south
wall. Chancel arch has 3 respond shafts between hollow mouldings.
Tower arch similar, 3 respond columns and plain chamfered capitals,
and arch of 3 hollow orders. Chancel of 3 bays with opening to
north organ chamber. C19 roof on stone corbels. Trefoiled piscina
with traces of red paint. Fittings: Font late C12, square, with
semicircular apron to each side, set on short columns and stepped
base. Pulpit C19 oak part-octagon on stone base. Rood Beam, 1919,
oak carved with vine scroll and crestings, carrying Crucifixion.
Organ by Bevington and Sons. Monuments: Nave, south side, wall
tablet, white marble on black by Gibbs of Andover, panel with
cornice and fluted pilasters, draped urn over, apron below, to
Sarah Taylor, died 1841. Under tower: Framed brass to Thomas
Pierce, Dean of Sarum, died 1691 and his French wife, erected by
Listing NGR: SU2344749017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings