History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Hall congregational Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3455 / 51°20'43"N

Longitude: -2.2509 / 2°15'3"W

OS Eastings: 382623

OS Northings: 160739

OS Grid: ST826607

Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.MR1

Mapcode Global: VH96V.XFXX

Entry Name: Church Hall congregational Church

Listing Date: 18 April 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036112

English Heritage Legacy ID: 312688

Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bradford on Avon

Listing Text


1. ST MARGARET'S STREET
5411 (East Side)

18.4.52. Congregational Church
- Church Hall
ST 8260 2/107

II GV

2.
Built 1740, enlarged in 1793 and in 1835. Entrance is through gateway
on road, Stone piers, cast and wrought-iron double gates, arched lamp
bracket. 4 steps up from road. Ashlar, 5 windows on two levels and a
2-storey 2-window (one painted imitation) wing set back slightly on left
of main facade. The wing has lower roof level. Main facade:- Hipped
slate roof, eaves. Upper windows leaded, with modern coloured glass,
chamfered reveals. Lower windows sashes with glazing bars. Central square-headed
doorway with panelled double doors. Stone doorcase, pilasters, entablature
and blocking course. Oval moulded panel over upper centre window giving
dates of building and enlargements. Plain string above windows is carried
over panel in form of open pediment. Windows in left hand wing are sashes,
and there is a similar doorway. Range to left, also of 1835, with a third
door of similar type. 4 windows in this range, which is the Church Hall.

The Three Horseshoes and Nos 1 to 4 (consec) Frome Road form a group with
the Liberal Club, The Baptist Chapel, the Congregational Church and Hall
and Nos 6 to 16 (consec), 19 to 22 (consec), 36, 42 to 49 (consec) and Westbury
House, St Margaret's Street and No 1 St Margaret's Hill.

Listing NGR: ST8262360739

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.