History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bell and Crown Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Warminster, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1972 / 51°11'50"N

Longitude: -2.1896 / 2°11'22"W

OS Eastings: 386848

OS Northings: 144240

OS Grid: ST868442

Mapcode National: GBR 1V5.Z34

Mapcode Global: VH97P.059J

Entry Name: The Bell and Crown Public House

Listing Date: 31 March 1978

Last Amended: 31 July 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036200

English Heritage Legacy ID: 312883

Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Warminster

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Warminster Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Warminster

Listing Text

WARMINSTER DEVERILL ROAD
1.
5411
(West Side)
No 66, Bell Hill
(The Bell and Crown
Public House)
ST 8644 3/200

II


2.
A long 2 storey building; has long been the centre of Warminster Common life.
An earlier inn probably preceded it. Late c18. Local rubblework with ashlar
quoins and brick flat arches and dressings. 6 windows on 1st floor, glazing
bar sashes with flush moulded frames. 2 similar on ground floor and an off
centre bay window. 2 doors with moulded frames, one to right of bay with
cut brackets.to flat hood and 12 panel (flush type) 2 leaf doors; door to
left off centre, formerly had a triangular hood. Left hand openings altered
by lavatory arrangements. Slate roof with coped verges and 3 brick ridge
chimneys. 2 1/2 storey extension on return to Chapel Street; brick pigeon holes
in right hand side of gable. Of additional interest is the cast iron street
sign "Chapel Street") on return to Chapel Street. It is one of a fair number
on the Common, affixed by an improvement committee, on which the local evangelist
John Daniell sat, in 1834.


Listing NGR: ST8684844240

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.