History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chantry

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warminster, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2055 / 51°12'19"N

Longitude: -2.1829 / 2°10'58"W

OS Eastings: 387319

OS Northings: 145154

OS Grid: ST873451

Mapcode National: GBR 1V6.6YF

Mapcode Global: VH97H.3YVS

Entry Name: The Chantry

Listing Date: 28 April 1952

Last Amended: 31 March 1978

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036217

English Heritage Legacy ID: 312929

Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Warminster

Built-Up Area: Warminster

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Warminster St Denys

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Warminster

Listing Text

WARMINSTER HIGH STREET
1.
5411
(North Side)
No 34 (The Chantry)
[Formerly listed as
No 24 (The Chantry)]
ST 8745 SW 6/25 28.4.52.

II* GV


2.
Circa 1750-60. Possibly by a Longleat estate surveyor/architect. 3 storeys.
Recently cleaned Bath stone. Projecting plinth with moulded coping, plain
bands at each floor. Small rusticated quoins. Moulded cornice. Plain parapet
with moulded coping and old tile roof. Glazing bar sash windows with stone
architrave surrounds. Three 3 light windows on 1st floor, with centre light
4 panes high and side lights 3 panes high, (rectangular variation of a venetian
window). 2 similar windows under, on ground floor flanking 6 panel central
door in Doric surround, of pilasters, triglyph frieze, moulded and bracketed
cornice with pediment and with Palladian window over on mezzanine level, with
Ionic pilasters framing lights and carrying bolection frieze and moulded and
bracketted cornices. Architrave round arch of central light has interlacing
"Gothic" glazing pattern. The right hand ground floor window is out of alignment
with windows over to allow for secondary entrance in right hand corner now
blocked. Early C19 rear extension to north-east with 2 large windows per
floor. Interior: fine contemporary oak staircase with 1st floor and landing
galleries, ramped sills and panelled dados, 2 balusters per tread. Oak (?)
interior joinery to central Ionic Palladian window. Dentil cornice to main
hall which has diamond pattern flagged floor. This building is not unlike
Byne House (church Street) and Dilton Vale Farmhouse (Westbury).


Listing NGR: ST8731945154

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.