This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2044 / 51°12'15"N
Longitude: -2.1797 / 2°10'46"W
OS Eastings: 387541
OS Northings: 145032
OS Grid: ST875450
Mapcode National: GBR 1V6.FR7
Mapcode Global: VH97H.5ZJM
Entry Name: The Old Bell Public House
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Last Amended: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036229
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312959
Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Warminster
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Warminster Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WARMINSTER MARKET PLACE
No 42 (The Old Bell
Public House). (Formerly
listed as Nos 12 and 13)
ST 8745 SE 7/7 28.4.52.
Mid to late C18 front to older building (a 'Bell' hostelry mentioned in 1483;
some C16 timber work retained in much modernised interior). 3 storeys, painted
coursed rubble on Doric arcade at ground floor level (across pavement) of
6 arches, 2 to right of centre depressed. Cornices carried on rectangular
piers. Plain string above and below 1st floor windows. Small moulded cornice,
plain parapet and hipped old tile roof. 3 ranges of windows to upper floor
with plain stone surrounds and small keystones, wide glazing bar sashes.
Irregular modern, mullion and transom type, windows on ground floor. Upper
floor to west partly tile hung. Roughly triangular stable yard at rear reached
from No 44.
To rear: 2 storey stable yard of coursed and squared rubble behind Nos 42
to 46 and Old Bell; brick dressings and old tile roof; long series of 1 1/2
and 2 storey extensions from rear of No 48 with narrow alleyway separating
them from those of No 46, tiled roofs in 7 diminishing stages. No 50 has
similar elevation treatment as front. Upper floor to rear of No 54 tile
hung, above 2 1/2 storey gabled extension of brick with stone quoins, 2 dormers,
2 large and one small window on 1st floor with remains of moulded surrounds
and an arched opening on ground floor to right. Links with 2 1/2 storey extension
to rear of No 52. Fine staircase at rear of No 48 (inside) with turned balusters
and ramped rail and dado, and a panelled room at rear of present restaurant.
The Old Bell remains the best example of the old inns at Warminster.
Listing NGR: ST8754145032
Other nearby listed buildings