This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2588 / 51°15'31"N
Longitude: -2.1823 / 2°10'56"W
OS Eastings: 387373
OS Northings: 151089
OS Grid: ST873510
Mapcode National: GBR 1TM.128
Mapcode Global: VH979.4M4B
Entry Name: Peacehouse
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313063
Location: Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Westbury
Built-Up Area: Westbury (Wiltshire)
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Westbury
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WESTBURY BRATTON ROAD
Nos 6 and 8 (Peacehouse)
(Formerly listed as
ST 8751 SW 4/5 No 6 only)
C15 and C16 altered.
No 6: A 2 storey block on light rubble stone plinth with a spur buttress,
upper part timber framed with brick infilling. Pantile roof. 2 twin casements
on 1st floor, one on ground floor to right. Return front to left with ancient
3 plank double thickness nail studded door in later plain lattice wood porch;
one casement window to right. No 6 was originally a small 3 bay house gable
end to road, thatched. Below, on ground floor, the heavily moulded Tudor
cross beams are retained on the ground floor. This was extended to form present
house and join the later No 8.
No 8: Now appears as a later wing to left with an 'L' plan. Built of rubble,
gable end to road with alternate thick and thin coursing. Pantile roof.
2 ranges of C19 casements on left hand wing, one on ground floor of right
hand wing. One ledged door on each wing with modern porches. The older origins
of this house are indicated by an internal wall said to be 8 ft thick and
by the now roofed over hip visible from the roof space of No 6.
Listing NGR: ST8737351089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings