This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2627 / 51°15'45"N
Longitude: -2.1821 / 2°10'55"W
OS Eastings: 387392
OS Northings: 151524
OS Grid: ST873515
Mapcode National: GBR 1TF.M5F
Mapcode Global: VH979.4J8B
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313149
Location: Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Westbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Westbury
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WESTBURY MARKET PLACE
The Town Hall
ST 8751 NW 3/35 29.12.50.
Early C19. Inscription on frieze reads "Built by Sir Massey Lopes Baronet,
Recorder of this Borough, Anno Domini MDCCCXV". 2 storeys. Bath stone ashlar
cleaned and restored. Hipped slate roof. 3 bays Colonnaded ground floor
divided by rusticated piers with 2 Roman Doric columns in each bay to support
entablature (wooden). 3 modern shops within colonnade. Centre bay of 1st
floor projects slightly, each bay with an arched recess with moulded architraves
and moulded string at springing. The central recess contains an arched panel
with a clock face. The flanking recesses each have arched windows with narrow
margins and radiating glazing. Balustered aprons to 1st floor recesses, capping
carried on as let floor cill band. Plain frieze with curved inscription,
small moulded cornice and blocking course. The centre block has moulded pediment
with the Lopes Arms carved in stone in the tympanum. End elevations each
have one similar recessed window on the 1st floor; colonnade also returned.
Listing NGR: ST8739651526
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings