History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lopes Arms Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Westbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2625 / 51°15'45"N

Longitude: -2.1818 / 2°10'54"W

OS Eastings: 387407

OS Northings: 151499

OS Grid: ST874514

Mapcode National: GBR 1TF.TDY

Mapcode Global: VH979.4JDJ

Entry Name: The Lopes Arms Hotel

Listing Date: 29 December 1950

Last Amended: 31 March 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036309

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313151

Location: Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Westbury

Built-Up Area: Westbury (Wiltshire)

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Westbury

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Westbury

Listing Text

WESTBURY MARKET PLACE
1.
5411
(East Side)
The Lopes Arms Hotel
(Formerly listed as
The Lopes Arms Inn)
ST 8751 NW 3/36 29.12.50.
ST 8751 SW 4/36

II GV


2.
Mostly C18. Formerly (circa 1754-1809) the "Lord Abingdon Arms"; said to
be on site of C16 inn "The Saint George and the Dragon". 2 storeys with older
wing to right. Painted brick, projecting plinth, moulded string at 1st floor
level. End and dividing piers divide the 6 windows of 1st floor as 2+2+1+1,
glazing bar sashes with slab surrounds having beaded inner edges, 2nd window
from right tripartite, side panels blocked. Irregularly spaced windows on
ground floor with a large arched yard entrance to left. 2 windows, one replacing
former bar entrance with stern shaped loop overthrow with "Lopes Arms" in
gilt lettering. Next a single storey angular bay window with small moulded
wood cornice, wood blocking course and lead flat, finally modern double doors
to right. Eight hand wing has double hipped old tile roof. Elevation to
Market Place has 2 windows on each floor, sashes, with glazing bars 1st floor.
Elevation to All Saints Graveyard:- 1 window to right on each floor. Various
extensions to rear - 3 storeys through great drop in level.


Listing NGR: ST8740951482

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.