This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1551 / 51°9'18"N
Longitude: -2.0721 / 2°4'19"W
OS Eastings: 395057
OS Northings: 139544
OS Grid: ST950395
Mapcode National: GBR 2X7.JY6
Mapcode Global: VHB5D.17F9
Entry Name: Boyton Manor
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313241
Location: Boyton, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Boyton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Boyton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BOYTON BOYTON VILLAGE
ST 93 NE
Country house. 1618 for Thomas Lambert, 1930s staff accommodation.
Rendered limestone, tiled triple gabled roof, diagonally-set ashlar
stacks with moulded cappings. Square plan. Two storey and attic,
5 windows. Central 2-storey porch with square headed moulded
doorcase, half-glazed door and Ionic columns to entablature with
stone urns to ground floor, upper storey has Corinthian pilasters
to entablature and 3-light transomed and mullioned casement.
Ground and first floor either side of porch have cross windows and
3-light mullioned and transomed casements, lintel string courses;
three attic gables with 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement with
hoodmould, saddleback coping and ball finials. Garden front to
left return has central half-glazed door in large pilastered porch
with broken segmental pediment, of c.1700, either side is 3-light
mullioned and transomed casement, first floor has cross window over
door, mullioned and transomed casement either side, lintel string
courses, three attic gables each with 3-light ovolo-mullioned
casement with hoodmould and saddleback, coping, lead rainwater
heads dated 1935/SH. Right return has 2-storey projecting stair
bay with mullioned and transomed casement to left, ground floor has
2-light ovolo-mullioned casement, two mullioned and transomed
casements, one with C20 doorcase inserted, first floor has cross
window and two mullioned and transomed casements, three attic
gables as front. Rear has three 3-light mulioned and transomed
casements to ground and first floor, attic gables as front.
Interior not accessible at time of survey (May 1985), but said to
retain original Jacobean features. Original open well stairs on
north side of house with carved splat balusters and closed string,
stairs on south side have barley sugar balusters and fine plaster
ceiling over with garlands in coving. Latter stairs and a morning
room with walnut panelling were alterations made for Edmund Lambert
c.1700. Principal room on first floor over entrance hall and
incorporating upper storey of porch has good oak wainscot panelling
with fluted pilasters, strapwork frieze, plaster ceiling with thin
ribs and stone square moulded fireplace with Doric columns to
dentilled entablature. First floor bedrooms with similar wainscot
panelling, panelled oak doors. Early C20 2-storey service
accommodation around square courtyard, attached to north-east
corner of main house; rendered with hipped tiled roof, stone ovolo-
mullioned casements to south side and leaded casements to north
side and courtyard. (Country Life, Vol 28, 1910, P.262; N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: ST9506839555
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings