History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Brixton Deverill, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1477 / 51°8'51"N

Longitude: -2.1956 / 2°11'44"W

OS Eastings: 386411

OS Northings: 138731

OS Grid: ST864387

Mapcode National: GBR 1VR.XCG

Mapcode Global: VH97V.WFM1

Entry Name: The Manor

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Last Amended: 1 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036352

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313264

Location: Brixton Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Brixton Deverill

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Monkton Deverill

Listing Text

BRIXTON DEVERILL BRIXTON DEVERILL VILLAGE
ST 83 NE
(east side)
5/43
The Manor, (formerly listed as Manor
House)
11.9.68

GV II

Manor house. C15, mid C17 and late C18 refenestration and
additions. Rubble stone, tiled roof, brick stacks. L-plan: hall
with cross range to south. Two-storey, 4-windowed front. Six-
panelled door in moulded architrave with flat wooden hood on
chamfered posts to right of hall, to left are pair of 16-pane
sashes and one 3-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement.
First floor has two 3-light mullioned casements. Cross wing
slightly projecting to right has two 12-pane sashes in beaded
architraves to ground and first floor, round-arched beaded
architrave with keystone and imposts and fixed window to attic
gable. Right return has large external stack to left, C19 casement
to right, first floor has two casements and one small C15 square
headed arched light to left. Rear has planked door in beaded case
to main range with 2-light mullioned casement to right and two 2-
light mullioned casements to first floor. C18 stair extension to
left has recessed chamfered mullioned casement to basement, pair of
beaded mullioned sashes to ground and first floors, 2-light beaded
mullioned casement to attic, return has large external stack,
beaded cross window and single beaded light. Rear of cross wing,
refenestrated C18, has tripartite sash in beaded architrave and two
2-light C19 casements to first floor. Attached to left return is
single storey scullery with 4-light casement.
Interior has deeply chamfered beams to hall, C15 Tudor-arched stone
doorway with carved spandrels and oak door leads to cross range,
probably former solar, to south. Flagstone floors throughout main
rooms of ground floor. Late C18 open well stairs to rear have two
turned balusters per tread, shaped cheeks and turned newels.


Listing NGR: ST8641138731

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.