This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1812 / 51°10'52"N
Longitude: -2.1086 / 2°6'30"W
OS Eastings: 392508
OS Northings: 142450
OS Grid: ST925424
Mapcode National: GBR 2WT.V0K
Mapcode Global: VH97Q.DKNT
Entry Name: Parsonage Farm and Attached Cottage
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Last Amended: 1 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313321
Location: Heytesbury, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Heytesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Heytesbury with Tytherington and Knook St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
HEYTESBURY TYTHERINGTON LANE
ST 92 SW
9/100 Parsonage Farm
and attached cottage
11.9.68 (formerly listed as
Farmhouse with cottage attached to rear. Early C17, rebuilt mid
C18. Dressed limestone, tiled roof with hip to left and coped
verge to right, groups of diagonally set brick stacks. 'L'-plan.
Two storey, 6-windowed front; casements. Six-panelled door with
fanlight in semi-circular head to left of centre. Twelve-pane sash
with margin panes to left, early C20 French windows and two 2-light
cyma-moulded mullioned casements to right. First floor has five
cyma-mullioned casements and one blocked mullioned window. Right
return in English garden wall bond brick with stone quoins; 2-
light ovolo-mullioned casement to first floor and 2-light casement
to attic. Left return has early C19 bay with sashes, half-glazed
door and 3-light casement to ground floor, first floor has 4-light
and 3-light casement. Rear of main range is rebuilt in Flemish
bond brick, large lateral stone stack to centre, to right is gabled
stair turret with 2-light wooden ovolo-mullioned window. Attached
to rear is early C19 single storey service extension with cast-iron
latticed casements and planked door.
Interior is partly altered, but first floor principal room retains
fine Jacobean plaster ceiling with broad bands and pendants, and
large stone moulded square fireplace with vase-moulded pilasters,
fluted frieze to entablature and overmantel with strapwork
decoration with heraldic arms, probably of Moore family. Ante-room
to north side of first floor chamber has oak wainscot panelling,
small stone Tudor-arched fireplace with arabesque carved
overmantel. Stairs rebuilt to first floor level, but winding oak
stairs survive up to attics.
Early C19 cottage attached to rear is rubble stone with tiled roof,
planked central door and 3-light casements either side, two 2-light
casements to first floor and to rear.
Part of manor belonging to Dean of Sarum and occupied by Rachel
Moore c.1630, whose effigy is in north aisle of chancel of Church
of St. Peter and St. Paul (q.v.). (E.D. Ginever, The Ancient
Wiltshire Village of Heytesbury, 1981.)
Listing NGR: ST9250842450
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings