History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Heytesbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1695 / 51°10'10"N

Longitude: -2.1209 / 2°7'15"W

OS Eastings: 391645

OS Northings: 141143

OS Grid: ST916411

Mapcode National: GBR 1VN.QLT

Mapcode Global: VH97Q.6V4V

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036375

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313322

Location: Heytesbury, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Heytesbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Heytesbury with Tytherington and Knook St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Heytesbury

Listing Text

HEYTESBURY TYTHERINGTON VILLAGE
ST 94 SW
(east side)
4/101 Church of St. James
11.9.68
GV II*

Anglican chapel. Mainly C16, restored 1891 by C.E. Ponting.
Dressed limestone, stone slate roof. Consists of nave and chancel
under one roof with entrance at west end. Restored stone Tudor-
arched doorway with planked door with strap hinges, over is tall
C16 three-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window with hoodmould,
flanking buttresses. Coped verges to roof with ashlar bellcote
over west gable; one Tudor-arched opening. North side has blocked
pointed doorway to right, a small quatrefoil with cusped spandrels
and one 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned window to left. East
end has diagonal buttresses and C19 three-light Perpendicular-style
window. South side has one 2-light hollow-chamfered mullioned
window; all windows with leaded lights.
Interior: small interior retains original fittings including old
tiled floor, oak pews with simply moulded bench ends are probably
C17, C18 communion rails with wood turned balusters and wide
moulded rail, cylindrical stone font with C17 font cover at west
end. Tie-beam and collar roof of 4 1/2-bays with two tiers of butt
purlins, the lower tier and the tie-beam soffits are moulded.
Chapel to Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Heytesbury (q.v.).


Listing NGR: ST9164541143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.