This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1831 / 51°10'59"N
Longitude: -2.1878 / 2°11'16"W
OS Eastings: 386968
OS Northings: 142665
OS Grid: ST869426
Mapcode National: GBR 1VC.RPV
Mapcode Global: VH97P.1J7D
Entry Name: Bull Mill
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Last Amended: 1 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313397
Location: Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Longbridge Deverill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL BULL LANE
ST 84 SE
3/176 No 2 Bull Mill
(formerly listed as Bull
Mill house, now semi-detached house. Mid C17. Random rubble
stone, tiled roof, formerly thatched, brick stacks. L-plan.
Two-storey and attic, 2-windowed; sashes. No entrance to front;
12-pane sash in moulded stone architrave and C20 tripartite sash to
right, first floor has 12-pane sash in moulded stone architrave and
C20 four-light casement, attic gable to right with 2-light
casement. Attached to right is lean-to porch enclosing moulded
stone window surround, now doorway with C20 door, external stack
and two roof gables, the right hand with 2-light casement. Rear
has 12-pane sash in moulded stone architrave and 2-light recessed
chamfered mullioned casement, first floor with two C20 sashes,
gabled rear wing has C20 door and casement on return, rear has two
C20 twelve-pane sashes, two 2-light ovolo-mullioned casements
lighting stairs and one 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned
casement to attic.
Interior altered 1980s, but retains large stone Tudor-arched
fireplace with moulded jambs, also said to contain C17 panelling.
Mural by Lord Weymouth. The Adlam family occupied Bull Mill from
the C16 to C18, the Everett family of Heytesbury ran a large
clothing factory here in C18, and during C19 the Wards and then the
Jupes, ran a successful silk mill here. The mill and factory
closed in 1894, the factory dismantled in 1920s. (B. Watkin,
Listing NGR: ST8696842665
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings