History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Knapp with Stables Walls and Front Garden Walls and Gate Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton Veny, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1759 / 51°10'33"N

Longitude: -2.1431 / 2°8'35"W

OS Eastings: 390090

OS Northings: 141856

OS Grid: ST900418

Mapcode National: GBR 1VM.BYQ

Mapcode Global: VH97P.SPWY

Entry Name: The Knapp with Stables Walls and Front Garden Walls and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 1 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036428

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313453

Location: Sutton Veny, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Sutton Veny

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Veny St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bishopstrow

Listing Text

SUTTON VENY HIGH STREET
ST 94 SW
(east side)
4/231 The Knapp with stable and
front garden walls and gate piers

GV II

Detached house. Late C17, altered early C19. English garden wall
bond brick, with stone quoins, tiled roof with coped verges, brick
stacks. Two-storey, 4-windowed. Central 6-panelled door in
moulded stone architrave with relieving arch, 1-light casement and
tripartite sash to right, fixed window, tripartite sash and 4-pane
sash to left. First floor has four 2-light casements. Right
return has brick and stone external stack, 1-light attic casements.
Left return has external stack, early C19 parallel range has 12-
pane sash with cambered head with keystone, C20 single storey
extensions. Rear has early C19 two-storey wing with 2-light
casements and 12-pane sashes with flat arches and keystones, to
left of rear is outshut with patio doors and 2 storey C20 bay.
Stable attached to left return has blind rubble stone wall to
front, stable door and 3-light casement to raised eaves of loft to
rear, return has blocked opening to ground floor and double planked
loft doors over, interior retains cast-iron and wooden loose boxes.
Attached to front of house are rubble stone walls with pitched
coping and ashlar panelled gate piers with moulded cappings and
pineapples with acanthus leaves. Interior of house not accessible
at time of survey (July 1985).


Listing NGR: ST9009041856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.