History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chitterne, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1957 / 51°11'44"N

Longitude: -2.0127 / 2°0'45"W

OS Eastings: 399206

OS Northings: 144054

OS Grid: ST992440

Mapcode National: GBR 2WR.VB3

Mapcode Global: VHB57.269Q

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036441

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313482

Location: Chitterne, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Chitterne

Built-Up Area: Chitterne

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Chitterne

Listing Text

CHITTERNE CHITTERNE ROAD
ST 94 SE
(east side)
4/9 Church of All Saints
11.9.68
GV II*
Anglican parish church. 1863 by T.H. Wyatt. Chequered flint and
limestone, tiled nave roof, aisle roofs are Welsh slate. Plan:
West tower over entrance, nave with lean-to aisles, chancel and
north vestry. Three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and
string courses, west entrance with double-chamfered pointed
archway, double planked doors and square hoodmould, north and south
sides of first and second stages have cusped lancets, west side of
second stage has 3-light pointed Perpendicular window, circular
clockface over, bellstage has 2-light mullioned louvres with
pointed lights, string course with gargoyles to battlemented
parapet. West ends of aisle have 3-light Perpendicular windows.
South aisle has two 2-light square-headed window with cusped
lights, C15 three-light window with ogee cusped lights and a pair
of C14 ogee cusped lights to right, both reset from Church of St
Mary (q.v.). Clerestory with four 2-light windows with cusped
lights, east end of aisle has 3-light pointed windows. Chancel
has 2-light C19 Perpendicular window to south, polygonal east end
with three 2-light windows, vestry on north side with ashlar stack
and 2-light windows, chamfered doorway with curved corners. North
aisle has one 2-light and one 3-light C15 window with cusped lights
to left, C14 three-light window with ogee cusping to right; all
from demolished Church of All Saints, C19 gabled porch with double
chamfered pointed doorway to right. Clerestory as south side.
Interior: Entrance in tower with tall double-chamfered tower arch
to nave; C19 wooden screen. Nave has flagstone floor, 4-bay
deep-arch-braced collar truss roof on moulded stone corbels with
plainer collar trusses to half-bays. Four-bay arcades to aisles
have double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers, lean-to
roofs with exposed rafters and principals on stone corbels. High
pointed chancel arch with painted Biblical inscription over, short
sections of low C15 stone screen with quatrefoils to sides, chancel
floored with polychrome tiles, arch-braced polygonal roof on
corbels. Fittings: C12 cylindrical stone font at west end of
nave, brought here from Church of St Mary, 1767 wooden cover made
by James Townsend. C17 carved wooden polygonal pulpit on C19
stone base, also from Church of St Mary. C19 chancel and nave
seating. Plaster relief Royal Arms of 1863 over tower arch.
Chancel stained glass by Cox Sons, Buckley and Co., 1900, east
window of south aisle has 1914-18 war memorial stained glass by
Humphries, Jackson and Amble of Manchester. Collection of C18 and
C19 memorial tablets in tower including large white marble to
Charles Michell died 1704, erected 1749, marble to Commodore
Matthew Michell died 1752 with a relief-carved ship on the apron,
marble with a woman and an urn to Phillis Rooke died 1795. This
church cost £2404, replacing the Medieval Church of All Saints
across the road, demolished 1877; it is a very convincing study
carried out in the local style.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975;
Unpublished records of RCHM (E), Salisbury; Guide in Church)


Listing NGR: ST9920644054

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.