History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Codford, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1586 / 51°9'31"N

Longitude: -2.0503 / 2°3'0"W

OS Eastings: 396580

OS Northings: 139933

OS Grid: ST965399

Mapcode National: GBR 2X8.BGT

Mapcode Global: VHB5D.D4YM

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313531

Location: Codford, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Codford

Built-Up Area: Codford St Peter

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Codford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Chitterne

Listing Text

CODFORD HIGH STREET, Codford St Peter
ST 93 NE
(north side)
7/58 Church of St Peter
11.9.68
GV II*
Anglican parish church. C13, C15, 1863 restoration by T.H. Wyatt.
Dressed limestone and rubble stone, tiled roof with coped verges.
Plan: West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north aisle and
vestry. C15 gabled south porch with C19 pointed archway with
original hoodmould with shield-carved terminals, diagonal
buttresses, string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet.
Nave to left has 2-light square-headed C19 window, 3-light and
single-light C19 windows to right, all with cusped lights and
hoodmoulds, battlemented parapet with string course and gargoyles.
Chancel has chamfered pointed, south door, 2-light C19 plate tracery
window either side, diagonal buttresses to east end, original C13
pilaster buttress to centre of east end below C19 three-light
pointed lancet. C19 gabled vestry to north side with pointed
doorway and cusped lancet. Lean-to north aisle with 3-light and
two 2-light C19 square-headed windows with cusped lights and
hoodmoulds, some original stonework retained and some reset
fragments of C13 carved stone, west end of aisle has 2-light
square-headed window with original hoodmould. Three-stage west
tower with diagonal buttresses and string course to bellstage only,
3-light restored Perpendicular window to west, middle stage has
arrowloops and octagonal clockface to south side, bellstage has 2-
light Perpendicular louvres to all sides but north which has one
cusped lancet, string course with gargoyles to battlemented
parapet; crocketed corner pinnacles. Plain rectangular stair
turret with arrowloops on north side of tower.
Interior: Porch rebuilt with money from Maria Waldron; moulded
ribbed vault on foliage corbels, moulded pointed inner doorway with
planked door with ornamental strap hinges. Nave has 3 ½ bay C19
deep arch-braced collar truss roof on foliage corbels with collar
trusses to half bays. C15 moulded tower arch. Three-bay C19 north
arcade with double chamfered arches on compound piers, lean-to
aisle roof, organ at east end. C19 moulded pointed chancel arch on
marble shafts, carved wooden screen by F.C. Eden c1910. Chancel
has rib-panelled boarded ceiling, polychrome tiled floor, early C20
communion rails with vase balusters, C18 communion table, 1891
brass candelabra, C13 trefoil-headed sedilia on south wall with
triangular hoodmould over each arch. Other fittings: square C12
font with carved stars and crosses in discs on single column with
scalloped base, C17 font cover with strapwork carving. Eight-point
star-shaped Hatchment of Prince Leopold in chancel. Early C20
polygonal wooden pulpit. Painted Royal Arms dated 1716 on south
wall of nave. High quality stained glass in north aisle, early C20
and probably German or Flemish, stained glass in south west nave
window to Brind family and signed Gibbs and Howard 1881. C18 and
C19 monuments include good slate and marble tablet in tower to
Thomas Polden died 1753, classical C15 marbles to Crouch family,
marble by Wood of Bristol to Rev John Dampier died 1839. Very well
preserved C9 Saxon cross shaft with fine carving of man with alder
branch, against north wall of chancel.
(N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Church Guide)


Listing NGR: ST9658039933

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.