This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1476 / 51°8'51"N
Longitude: -2.0343 / 2°2'3"W
OS Eastings: 397697
OS Northings: 138702
OS Grid: ST976387
Mapcode National: GBR 2X9.VYK
Mapcode Global: VHB5D.PFD3
Entry Name: Stables and Carriage House on North West Side of Stockton House
Listing Date: 11 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036498
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313618
Location: Stockton, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Stockton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Middle Wylye Valley
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
STOCKTON STOCKTON PARK
ST 93 NE
7/144 Stables and carriage house
on north west side of
Stables at Stockton House. C17, 1834 carriage house addition.
Flint and limestone chequers, tiled roof with saddleback coped
verges. Single-storey with lofts, symmetrical 7-bay south front.
Central bay with elliptical-arched carriage entrance breaks
forward, moulded Tudor-arched loft opening over. Two flanking
bays have two mullioned windows with semi-circular headed leaded
lights and square hoodmoulds, side bays break forward with similar
2-light mullioned window to ground floor and Tudor-arched loft
opening. Rear has central gabled wing with 2 light recessed
chamfered mullioned casement, rear wall is Flemish bond brick.
Interior no longer retains stalls or loose boxes, semi-circular
headed niches survive on rear wall. Attached to right are stables
and carriage house with staff accommodation over, designed by John
Benett of Pyt House, 1834; limestone ashlar with three elliptical-
arched carriage doors and segmental-arched throughway to service
court at rear of Stockton House, four gabled dormers with 2-light
mullioned casements to first floor.
(Architectural Magazine, 1834)
Listing NGR: ST9769738702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings