History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yew Trees

A Grade II Listed Building in Bratton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2731 / 51°16'23"N

Longitude: -2.1271 / 2°7'37"W

OS Eastings: 391226

OS Northings: 152666

OS Grid: ST912526

Mapcode National: GBR 1TH.31S

Mapcode Global: VH97B.28TD

Entry Name: Yew Trees

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036517

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313664

Location: Bratton, Wiltshire, BA13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bratton

Built-Up Area: Bratton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bratton St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bratton

Listing Text

BRATTON LOWER ROAD
ST 9152
(north side)
11/27 Yew Trees
11.9.68
GV II
Detached house. Mid to late C18. Flemish bond brick, tiled
mansard roof to right hand range, left hand range plain tiled,
coped verges and gable end brick stacks. Two-storey, 3-window late
C18 entrance front. Central 6-panelled door in panelled reveals
with semi-circular fanlight and flat wooden hood on brackets, 20-
pane sash either side. Plat band to first floor; three 12-pane
sashes. Moulded stone cornice to plain brick blocking course.
Three raking dormers with 6-pane sashes to lower pitch of mansard.
Range attached to left, probably mid C18, has five 12-pane
segmental-headed sashes, 3-brick plat band to first floor; two 9-
pane sashes and three blocked sashes; two 6-pane sashes to
segmental-headed dormers. Left return in good English bond brick
has unusual diagonal brick buttresses with ogee swept copings.
Interior not accessible at time of survey (May 1986). Front of
house rebuilt following fire in 1789. Occupied by the Whitaker
family till 1940; Jeffery Whitaker opened a school here c1740
which closed c1820.
(M. Reeves, Sheep Bell and Ploughshare, 1978)


Listing NGR: ST9122652666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.