History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chilton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chilton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0506 / 52°3'2"N

Longitude: 0.7556 / 0°45'20"E

OS Eastings: 589043

OS Northings: 242716

OS Grid: TL890427

Mapcode National: GBR RJP.KTB

Mapcode Global: VHKF4.1QTD

Entry Name: Chilton Hall

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036689

English Heritage Legacy ID: 277923

Location: Chilton, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Chilton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Sudbury St Gregory with Chilton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Sudbury

Listing Text

TL 84 SE
8/126

Chilton
Waldingfield Road
Chilton Hall

10.1.53

II*
Approached by a drive leading from Waldingfield Road. The old seat of
the Crane family. A late C15 red brick house of which only one wing remains.
The will of Robert Crane (d 1500) speaks of "my now mansion house". This
house replaced an important medieval house. It is surrounded by a deep
moat, mostly with brick revetments and is approached by a wooden bridge
on the east side and by a brick 3-arched bridge on the south side. The
major part of the original house was burnt down in about 1800. The remaining
wing is of 2 storeys with attics and cellars. The roof has old timbers.
The south gable has a moulded brick parapet and at the south-west corner
there is an octagonal buttress. At the south-east corner there is a massive
embattled staircase turret. The windows are mainly modern casements with
leaded lights but on the west front there are 1 and 2-light double-hung
sash windows with glazing bars. The house has massive walls and at one
time was an important stronghold.


Listing NGR: TL8904342716

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.