History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beaumont Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Harkstead, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9592 / 51°57'32"N

Longitude: 1.2073 / 1°12'26"E

OS Eastings: 620457

OS Northings: 233823

OS Grid: TM204338

Mapcode National: GBR VQG.02Y

Mapcode Global: VHLCD.W03Y

Entry Name: Beaumont Hall

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036907

English Heritage Legacy ID: 277433

Location: Harkstead, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Harkstead

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Harkstead St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Shotley

Listing Text

TM 23 SW HARKSTEAD BEAUMONT HALL CHASE

6/14 Beaumont Hall
22/2/55

GV II

House, C16 or earlier with later alterations and additions including circa 1832
red brick restorations to right forward (south west) wing. Timber framed. C18
red brick to ground floor, weatherboarded first floor, C16 red brick left return.
Red plain tiled roofs. Left return external red brick chimneystack and wall with
black header diapering, moulded crow stepped head, concertina shaft. The diapering
is mainly conventional but to the right is a heart notif, believed locally to
represent the heart of Queen Anne Boleyn who wrote about a visit to 'Bemmets' and
whose heart is alleged to have been interred in a wall in Erwarton Church by
Sir Philip Parker of Erwarton Hall qv 3/12. Central stack with 4 square corner
shafts. Red brick stack to right wing. 2 storeys. 2 window range of 3-light case-
ments with transoms, 3 similar window range to right wing return, some of the
windows original with diamond leading and drop-over hinges. C18 central doorway,
moulded surround, flat canopy on console brackets. Interior: Ground floor, stop
chamfered bridging joists. Ceiling with moulded beams, moulded wall plates and
moulded jowled storey post. Moulded plastered 4-centre arched fire surround with
moulded finial. Traces of stencilled wall paintings were found during redecorations
but these have now vanished. There is an original chamfered timber arched window
to rear wall of first floor. Stick balusters to staircase. C18 corner cupboard
said to have come from the demolished Hostel of St Giles Chapel once situated on
the bank of the River Stour to south west of Beaumont Hall. Original ironmongery
and glass to many of the windows including those in the restored right range.


Listing NGR: TM2045733823

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.