This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.068 / 52°4'4"N
Longitude: 1.1031 / 1°6'11"E
OS Eastings: 612786
OS Northings: 245616
OS Grid: TM127456
Mapcode National: GBR TMM.9QL
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.29J0
Entry Name: Sproughton Manor
Listing Date: 6 March 1972
Last Amended: 29 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036922
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277362
Location: Sproughton, Babergh, Suffolk, IP8
Civil Parish: Sproughton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Sproughton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 1245 SPROUGHTON
5/34 Sproughton Manor
House, 1863 by W E Nesfield for Col Henry Phillipps. Grey brick, grey and yellow
stone dressings, tile and slate roofs. Asymmetrical facade. 3 bays. 2 and
2½ storeys. Left hand bay. 2li storeys part beneath half-hipped gable. 1st
floor brick band. Stepped diagonal buttress to left hand return. Mansard porch
of fish scale slate on timber brackets on yellow stone corbels. Similar stone
doorway With chamfered jambs and cambered corbels with round carved motif.
2-leeved door of 8 sunk panels. One ground floor and 2 1st floor timber casements
of one and two lights, beneath semicircular brick arches, the tympana of the
left hand windows in chequer-work grey brick, that above the right hand window
in herringbone, and all picked out in red mortar. 3 light attic window beneath
flat head. Brick stack with raised moulded brick panels. Iron finial to gables,
crested ridge tiles, crest of HP set in wall to left of door. Rainwater head
dated 1863. 2 storey gabled central bay comprising a full-height hall, ground
floor bow window with cross casements and parapet of pierced brickwork forming
angular lozenges. One 1st floor arched headed cross-window. Gable ball finial.
Right hand bay. 3 6-light cross casements to ground floor, beneath similar
arched heads with the tympana in herringbone brickwork. 2 similar 1st floor
windows. Rear range stack with brick panels and moulded cap.
Garden front. Symmetrical, 3 bays, that to centre set back, the forward bays
beneath mansard roofs. 3 storeys. The outer bays having ground floor timber
casements with glazed margins and overlights, the tympana with herringbone brick-
work. 2 similarly treated 1st floor casements, 2 3-light 2nd floor casements
having flat arches. Central bay. 2-leaved French window beneath overlight
with vertical glazing bars, and behind C20 glazed verandah. 2 1st floor casements
beneath one arch with similar tympanum to 2nd floor window having flat arches.
Rear wall. Arms to Henry Phillipps and Lucy Birch Phillipps.
Listing NGR: TM1278645616
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings