This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0625 / 52°3'44"N
Longitude: 1.0992 / 1°5'57"E
OS Eastings: 612541
OS Northings: 244987
OS Grid: TM125449
Mapcode National: GBR TMM.NQC
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.0FF8
Entry Name: Church Close
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Last Amended: 29 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036923
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277364
Location: Sproughton, Babergh, Suffolk, IP8
Civil Parish: Sproughton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Sproughton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 1245 and TM 1244 SPROUGHTON CHURCH LANE
5/36 and 6/36 Nos 1-4, Church Close
22.2.55 as Church Close)
House, formerly the Old Rectory, divided into 4 houses and flats 1961. Late
C15, C17, c1836. Timber framed,rendered, lined as ashlar, brick, some colourwashed,
plain tile roofs. Complex plan, gable to road. A long range, of late C15 end
jettied range and jettied crosswing, C17 range, with early C19 wing at right
angles, and wing to rear of c1836, partially on line with medieval crosswing.
1½, 2 and 2½ storeys, cellars. Late C15 range. 3 first floor leaded casements.
Brick porch in Flemish bond, painted, parapet of c1836 reuses c1500 carved spandrels
in arch. C20 door. Blocked doorway to left. Crosswing. Horned sash, and
C19 door reset from rear of house, replacing C19 window. 1st floor 3-light
timber casement. C17 range. 1½ and 2 storeys, timber framed, encased in brick,
rendered and lined as ashlar. Scattered fenestration of C19 and C20 casements
and one horned sash. 3 half-dormers with casements beneath carved bargeboards.
One leaded casement. 2 C20 doors, that to right beneath porch incorporating
cusped brattishing in the gable, carved spandrels and tall octagonal crown post
with moulded cap and base and 2 braces, probably from the earlier range and
set up c1836. Painted brick 2 storey range to right, of scattered fenestration.
Axial stacks of grouped polygonal shafts with moulded caps mostly C19 and later,
including one between hall and crosswing, one to left of C17 range, one inserted
in jettied roadside gable. Rear. 2 1st floor leaded casements, one an C18 cross
casement, one as those to front. 1836 brick wing, 2 storeys. 3 1st floor leaded
casements one probably early C18, reset.
Interior: Late C15 range of 2 unequal bays, crosswing of 2 or 3 curtailed bays
(now part of No 2). Mutilated crown post roof with one octagonal post with
embattled cap, and longitudinal braces. Crosswing. Open truss with renewed
braces, probably renewed c1836. 1836 stair of stick balusters, wreathed handrail,
turned newel. Two 6-panel doors with egg and dart moulding to raised and fielded
panels. Cellar beneath crosswing and 1836 wing said to have early brickwork.
Roof not inspected but described from photograph.
Listing NGR: TM1254144987
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings