History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Buckenham Hall School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brettenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1403 / 52°8'25"N

Longitude: 0.8587 / 0°51'31"E

OS Eastings: 595716

OS Northings: 252965

OS Grid: TL957529

Mapcode National: GBR RHP.V6H

Mapcode Global: VHKDS.TGSL

Entry Name: Old Buckenham Hall School

Listing Date: 23 January 1958

Last Amended: 10 July 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037349

English Heritage Legacy ID: 276338

Location: Brettenham, Babergh, Suffolk, IP7

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Brettenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brettenham

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Brettenham

Listing Text

BRETTENHAM BRETTENHAM PARK
1.
5377
Old Buckenham Hall
School
(formerly listed as
Brettenham Hall)
TL 95 SE 33/191 23.1.58
II*
2.
Formerly Brettenham Hall. A large red brick mansion probably of C16
origin but extensively added to or rebuilt in the first part of the C19
when it was altered in preparation for the residence of Joseph Bonaparte,
Ex-King of Naples and Spain, and brother of the first Napolean. It stands
in a park of about 150 acres and is approached by an avenue of oak trees.
The south front is mainly 2 storeyed and the north front has various
blocks of 2, 3 and 4 storeys, with parapets and Dutch gables. The west
end of the south front has a large bay with 3 windows, a panelled parapet
and a ground storey loggia with 7 Roman Doric plain columns and a triglyph
frieze. The north-east front is of earlier date with parapet and Dutch
gable. The east wing and tower on the north front was built in 1903.
The windows generally are double-hung sashes with glazing bars. There
are a number of chimney stacks with octagonal shafts, moulded caps and
bases.


Listing NGR: TL9571652965

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.