This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0281 / 52°1'41"N
Longitude: 0.8594 / 0°51'33"E
OS Eastings: 596261
OS Northings: 240491
OS Grid: TL962404
Mapcode National: GBR RK1.VGD
Mapcode Global: VHKFC.V963
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 January 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 276246
Location: Boxford, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Civil Parish: Boxford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Boxford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BOXFORD CHURCH STREET
TL 9640 60/99 23.1.58
An early C15 flint church with stone dressings. The west tower is C14,
with angle buttresses. The lower offsets have carved animal figures.
The parapet is castellated and there is an open lantern with a small
lead spire, probably of the early C19. The timber north porch is C14,
with large 2-light windows and a rib vault. Nikolaus Pevsner states
that it may be the oldest timber porch in the county. The south porch
is built of Caen stone, circa 1450, with elaborate panelling and 4-light
traceried windows. The interior has arcades of quadrefoil shafted columns
and moulded arches. The font is C15 with traceried panels and a C17
cupboard type font cover with an ogee dome and painted on the inside.
The pulpit is C18 and octagonal. Graded for its architectural, historical
and topographical interest.
Listing NGR: TL9626140491
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings