History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Denis

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wangford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4216 / 52°25'17"N

Longitude: 0.5733 / 0°34'23"E

OS Eastings: 575080

OS Northings: 283513

OS Grid: TL750835

Mapcode National: GBR P9C.1RY

Mapcode Global: VHJFT.WDFG

Entry Name: Church of St Denis

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037542

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275904

Location: Wangford, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP27

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Brandon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brandon with Wangford St Peter and St Denys

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Lakenheath

Listing Text

TL 78 SE
4/93

WANGFORD
Church of St. Denis

7.5.54

II*
Church. Medieval with alterations of early C19 and c.1875. Nave,
chancel, west tower and south porch. Flint rubble with freestone
quoins, parapet gables with mask-carved kneeler stones. Slated
roofs; the tower roof is flat behind crenellated parapets. North
and south doorways, and probably much of walling are of C12;
doorways have attached shafts with scalloped capitals. The
doorways were raised and given pointed arched heads d.1300. Major
C14 alterations include:- 3-stage tower with tall 2-light belfry
openings. South porch with arched doorway having attached shafts.
2-light hood-moulded north and south windows. Inside the north
doorway is a late C14 ogee-headed image niche. Chamfered square
font of c.1300. After a period of dereliction the medieval chancel
was demolished c.1800; the present east window was built c.1875
with other major alterations including new arch-braced collar-beam
roof, of which one truss is soffit-cusped to imply a "chancel-arch".
A brass epitaph to Dorothe, wife of William Francklin (d.1596)
has been fixed to the north wall behind the pulpit. Flanking the
east window are painted panels with the Lord's Prayer and Ten
Commandments.


Listing NGR: TL7508083513

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.