History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel at St Bartholomew's Priory Farm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sudbury, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.052 / 52°3'7"N

Longitude: 0.7273 / 0°43'38"E

OS Eastings: 587099

OS Northings: 242803

OS Grid: TL870428

Mapcode National: GBR QHB.BPJ

Mapcode Global: VHKF3.KPC8

Entry Name: Chapel at St Bartholomew's Priory Farm

Listing Date: 3 March 1952

Last Amended: 9 April 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037546

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275913

Location: Sudbury, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Sudbury

Built-Up Area: Sudbury

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Find accommodation in
Long Melford

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/01/2013


TL 84 SE 1/2
1692
3.3.52


ST BARTHOLOMEW'S LANE
Chapel at St Bartholomew's, Priory Farm


(Formerly listed as Chapel of St Bartholomew, Bartholomew's Farm)

GV II*


Chapel, now outbuilding. Early C15. Uncoursed flint rubble;
gabled old tile roof. Rectangular single-cell plan. Offset diagonal
corner buttresses and offset buttress to centre of 2-bay north and south eleva-
tions. Most window tracery has been lost. Moulded Tudor-arched
architraves to east window, which has remains of cusped Perpendicular
tracery to head; hood moulds with head stops over moulded 2-centred
arched windows to north and south, with remains of cusped Perpendicular
tracery to heads; hood mould over ancient studded door Set in moulded
2-centred architrave to west of south elevation; moulded Tudor-arched
architrave to west window, which has Cl9 brick to head. Interior:
complete trussed rafter roof of uniform scantling with no longitudinal
support. History: this chapel served the cell or grange of the Benedictine
Westminster Abbey, in existence on this site from 1115 to 1538; there is also a
C14 barn (q.v.) and post-dissolution farmhouse on the site; the prior's lodging
was demolished in 1779.
(C F D Sperling, A Short History of Sudbury, 1896)


Listing NGR: TL8709942803

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.