This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3425 / 52°20'32"N
Longitude: 0.5084 / 0°30'30"E
OS Eastings: 570973
OS Northings: 274560
OS Grid: TL709745
Mapcode National: GBR PB7.3CM
Mapcode Global: VHJG5.RDM3
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 7 May 1954
Last Amended: 2 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037562
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275846
Location: Mildenhall, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Mildenhall
Built-Up Area: Mildenhall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Mildenhall
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 7074 MILDENHALL THE CHURCH YARD
12/37 No. 12, The Priory
House, formerly union workhouse. 1836, with alterations of c.1900. Possible
earlier core. 2 storeys. Rendered masonry walls with parapets and a Dutch
gable at either end of the front elevation. Slated roofs. Mullioned and
transomed casements of c.1900. 4-panelled arched partly-glazed entrance door.
The doorway has a reset C15 surround of limestone, arched and hollow-chamfered.
The label above is heavily moulded with a carved frieze bearing two shields,
one flanked by angels, the other by lions. The doorway is believed to have
been removed from the house of the Cellarer of St. Edmunds Abbey; this may have
been the earlier range (said to have been constructed with oak timber) which
was demolished c.1897, at the front of the present house. A rear wing of 1836,
gault brick with slated roof, has horizontally sliding casements on the north
Listing NGR: TL7089774629
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings