This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.327 / 52°19'37"N
Longitude: 0.5967 / 0°35'48"E
OS Eastings: 577048
OS Northings: 273049
OS Grid: TL770730
Mapcode National: GBR QCW.1PB
Mapcode Global: VHJG7.9S90
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 7 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037582
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275792
Location: Icklingham, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Icklingham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Icklingham St James
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 77 SE
Church of St. James
Church, medieval, restored 1864. The tower rebuilt after collapse early C19.
Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north porch and west tower. Flint
rubble with limestone dressings; the north aisle and parapets refaced C19 in
flushed flint. Parapets to nave, aisles and tower; parapet-gables throughout.
Plaintiled roofs to chancel and porch; other roofs flat, leaded. The chancel
is of c.1300, with 2-light south windows, restored priest's doorway and a 3-
light west window with intersecting tracery and internal shafts. Late C14
south doorway and later north doorway; both have original doors. Aisle and
clerestory window of 2 lights, all of various mid and late C14 designs, some
perhaps reset. Large mask gargoyles to both aisles. North porch added, and
north chancel window inserted later C15. 4-bay nave arcade of c.1400, with
moulded pilasters; the chancel arch is similar, and to its right is an image
pedestal. In the north aisle is an image niche and an aumbry; in the south
aisle is a piscina, and by the south doorway a damaged stoup. The C15 rood-
loft stairs and a doorway survive, and a number of tracery panels taken from
the screen are fixed to C19 choirstalls. Flat nave roof with moulded cambered
tie-beams and purlins, perhaps rebuilt c.1600. Chancel roof canted and
boarded, with C15 moulded cornice and bosses with floral and mask motifs. A
mediaeval octafoil bowl is reused in the C19 chancel piscina. Octagonal C15
limestone font with quatrefoil panel led bowl and traceried stem, recut or
renewed C19. In the south aisle is a marble wall tablet with painted
achievement to John Talbot, d.1689, and his daughter Isabella, d.1704. 2
medieval floor slabs in the chancel probably once contained brasses.
Listing NGR: TL7704873049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings