This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3129 / 52°18'46"N
Longitude: 0.5483 / 0°32'53"E
OS Eastings: 573804
OS Northings: 271362
OS Grid: TL738713
Mapcode National: GBR PBH.TPR
Mapcode Global: VHJGD.G469
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275795
Location: Tuddenham, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Tuddenham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Tuddenham with Cavenham, Herringswell and Red Lodge
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 77 SW
Church of St. Mary
Church. Medieval, restored 1876. Nave, chancel, south aisle, west tower,
south porch. Flint rubble, rendered apart from chancel; dressings of
limestone. Slated roofs with parapets; the tower and aisle roofs have
crenellated parapets. Most medieval features are of mid C14, but coursed
flint rubblework in north nave wall may be C12. North vestry doorway probably
late C13. 2-light C14 windows in nave and aisles are curvilinear traceried;
some with mask corbels to hood-moulds. East chancel window of 3 lights,net-
traceried. C14 tower has crenellated parapets and 2-light belfry openings.
On the west face is a blocked ringing chamber window, below it a quatrefoil
window flanked by a pair of image niches; moulded west doorway. The C14 bell-
frame has at one corner a section of C15 carved and vaulted rood-loft, no
doubt taken down and used for repairs at the Reformation. C14 porch with 2-
light side windows and moulded doorway with engaged shafts; at the apex is a
cross base. Moulded south doorway with, inside, a stoup; simpler north
doorway. C14 4-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers. In the chancel is a
pair of restored crocketed image niches flanking the east window; simple
piscina. Vestry rebuilt C19 but with a C13 or C14 squint looking towards the
altar. In the north nave wall is a C14 tomb-canopy with moulded arched head.
In the aisle is a C14 image niche and piscina, and the C15 rood-loft stairs.
Fine but restored C15 nave roof in 7 bays of hammerbeam trusses; well-carved
angels attached to arch-braced collars, to hammerbeam ends and to wall-posts;
2-light clerestory windows. In the chancel and aisle are 2-light late C15
windows, restored C19. Most doorways have C15 or C16 moulded plank doors.
Octagonal C17 pulpit. Limestone font with chamfered square bowl; restored or
renewed C19. In the nave are 5 marble floor slabs, 4 having achievements,
dating from 1680 to 1749.
Listing NGR: TL7380471362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings